vampire bat

Also found in: Dictionary, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to vampire bat: Common Vampire Bat
Graphic Thesaurus  🔍
Display ON
Animation ON
  • noun

Synonyms for vampire bat

any of various tropical American bats of the family Desmodontidae that bite mammals and birds to feed on their blood

References in periodicals archive ?
Vampire bat venom was found to have unique forms of anticoagulants, that help prevent blood to clot and molecules which trigger the dilation of the patient's arteries.
During 2002-2007, a total of 293 (77%) of the rabies cases diagnosed by the Instituto Nacional de Salud in Peru were associated with vampire bat RABV variants; the remaining 87 (23%) were attributed to RABV variants associated with dogs.
Discovered in the venom of the common vampire bat from Central and South America, Professor Fry said the compounds had significant potential for future drug design and development.
Do current vampire bat (Desmodus rotundus) population control practices pose a threat to Dekeyser's nectar bat's (Lonchophylla dekeyseri) long-term persistence in the Cerrado?
ACROSS 1 Vampire bat, 5 Brag, 9 Pentagon, 10 Trifle, 12 Ready, 13 Yearning, 15 Wreck, 17 Partridge, 18 Cathedral, 20 Worry, 22 Godspell, 24 Mourn, 27 Rebuke, 28 Standard, 29 Deep, 30 Round table.
Dracula often morphs into a real-life bloodsucker--the vampire bat.
The common vampire bat has a 6- to 8-inch wingspan and a body the size of an adult thumb.
The false vampire bat (Vampyrum spectrum, Phyllostomidae) was recorded for the first time in Oaxaca by Alfaro et al.
Vampire Bat is a public domain remake of a 1933 obscure horror film that starred eventual genre stalwarts Fay Wray, Lionel Atwill, Melvyn Douglas, and Dwight Frye.
On this exciting expedition of epic proportions, there's no Carnivorous Elephant Beetle too savage, no Gargantuan Vampire Bat too ferocious, no Tiger-Stripe Viper too wild and no pair of pants too bloodthirsty that they can't be defeated.
Eric learns that part of the legend of vampire bats is true: the part that tells us if a vampire bat bites you, you turn into a monster is fake.
Only one variety, a vampire bat found in Central and South America, feeds on warmed-blooded animals, such as cows, horses and goats.
Hidden behind thick spectacles and a bonnet, and tucking her arms into her habit, Jones adds a good 10 to 15 years and frequently resembles a cross between a scarecrow and a vampire bat.
The vampire bat saliva has an anticoagulant that prevents clotting of the blood.