References in classic literature ?
Yet in our more temperate regions, in which the southward attraction is hardly felt, walking sometimes in a perfectly desolate plain where there have been no houses nor trees to guide me, I have been occasionally compelled to remain stationary for hours together, waiting till the rain came before continuing my journey.
"Now turn we unto Sir Marhaus that rode with the damsel of thirty winter of age southward. And so they came into a deep forest, and by fortune they were nighted, and rode along in a deep way, and at the last they came into a courtelage where abode the duke of South Marches, and there they asked harbour.
Twenty miles southward by now, the special was still tearing its way into the darkness.
"Yes, sir; there is no road leading down into this valley from the southward."
"It matters little," replied the doctor, "the important point is to return southward; we shall come across the towns of Bornou, Wouddie, or Kouka, and I should not hesitate to halt there."
Perhaps Paraguay offers the most curious instance of this; for here neither cattle nor horses nor dogs have ever run wild, though they swarm southward and northward in a feral state; and Azara and Rengger have shown that this is caused by the greater number in Paraguay of a certain fly, which lays its eggs in the navels of these animals when first born.
Now, it being Christmas when the ship shot from out her harbor, for a space we had biting Polar weather, though all the time running away from it to the southward; and by every degree and minute of latitude which we sailed, gradually leaving that merciless winter, and all its intolerable weather behind us.
Let us hear, then, what it is at its best estate--gaze on its bright side, if it has one; and then imagination may task her powers to add dark lines to the picture, as she travels southward to that (for the colored man) Valley of the Shadow of Death, where the Mississippi sweeps along.
On the 4th, however, the sea became more calm, and the storm lessened its violence; the wind veered southward, and was once more favourable.
At last, one day in early May, a letter reached her from a former friend of her mother's, to whom she had addressed inquiries long before--a person whom she had never seen--that a skilful milkmaid was required at a dairy-house many miles to the southward, and that the dairyman would be glad to have her for the summer months.
I made my preparations for my journey southward overnight; and I resolved to start for London the next day--unless I heard of some change in Mrs.
During the long summer the wind blows steadily from the southward, and a little off shore, so that rain never falls; during the three winter months, however, it is sufficiently abundant.
Between these outer lines and the main Cordillera, a succession of level basins, generally opening into each other by narrow passages, extend far to the southward: in these, the principal towns are situated, as San Felipe, Santiago, San Fernando.
"We will go that way," she said, pointing southward, "then turn, and meet them as they come back."
They walked on southward for ten minutes or more, then turned and walked back again to meet Noel Vanstone and Mrs.
Thesaurus browser ?
- southern porgy
- southern red cedar
- southern red oak
- Southern Rhodesia
- southern scup
- southern spadefoot
- southern spatterdock
- Southern Tai
- Southern Triangle
- southern white cedar
- southern yellow pine
- south-seeking pole
- southwest by south
- southwest by west
- southwestern lip fern
- southwestern toad
- southwestern United States
- southwestern white pine
- sovereign immunity
- Soviet KGB
Full browser ?
- Southsea Shakespeare Actors
- Southside Community Enrichment and Learning Center
- Southside Community Hospital
- Southside Community Land Trust
- Southside Economic Development Association
- Southside Electric Cooperative
- Southside Estates Athletic Association
- Southside Historical Neighborhood Association
- Southside Johnny
- Southside Parents of Multiples
- Southside Regional Medical Center
- Southside Virginia Community College
- Southside Virginia Family YMCA
- Southside Virginia Regional Technology Consortium
- Southtrust corporation
- Southville International School and Colleges
- Southwark Action for Voluntary Organisations
- Southwark Anti-Social Behaviour Unit
- Southwark Education and Training Advice for Adults
- Southwark Group of Tenants Organisations
- Southwark Habitat for Humanity
- Southwark London Borough Council
- Southwark Multi Faith Forum
- Southwark Network for Lifelong Learning
- Southwark Playhouse
- Southwark Police and Community Consultative Group
- Southwark Schools' Learning Partnership
- Southwater Community Methodist Church
- Southwell Minster Choir Association
- Southwell School Association
- Southwell, Robert
- Southwest (US)
- Southwest Abatement, Inc.
- Southwest Academy of Healing Arts
- Southwest Academy of Management
- Southwest Administrators Inc
- Southwest Advocates for Youth Services
- Southwest Africa
- Southwest Africa