References in classic literature ?
And, to say the truth, if miracles are ever to be wrought, it will be by putting our hands to the work in precisely such a simple and undoubting frame of mind as that in which Violet and Peony now undertook to perform one, without so much as knowing that it was a miracle.
Violet assumed the chief direction, and told Peony what to do, while, with her own delicate fingers, she shaped out all the nicer parts of the snow-figure.
Now and then, however, when Violet and Peony happened to raise their voices, the words were as audible as if they had been spoken in the very parlor where the mother sat.
cried Violet to her brother, who had gone to another part of the garden, "bring me some of that fresh snow, Peony, from the very farthest corner, where we have not been trampling.
answered Peony, in his bluff tone,--but a very sweet tone, too,--as he came floundering through the half-trodden drifts.
I did not quite know, Peony, that we could make such a sweet little girl as this.
Violet and Peony would not be aware of their immortal playmates,--only they would see that the image grew very beautiful while they worked at it, and would think that they themselves had done it all.
Nevertheless, the idea seized upon her imagination; and, ever and anon, she took a glimpse out of the window, half dreaming that she might see the golden-haired children of paradise sporting with her own golden-haired Violet and bright-cheeked Peony.
Now, for a few moments, there was a busy and earnest, but indistinct hum of the two children's voices, as Violet and Peony wrought together with one happy consent.
You can clamber on the snowdrift, Peony, and reach them easily.
And she saw Violet and Peony,--indeed, she looked more at them than at the image,--she saw the two children still at work; Peony bringing fresh snow, and Violet applying it to the figure as scientifically as a sculptor adds clay to his model.
There was a minute or two of silence; for Peony, whose short legs were never weary, had gone on a pilgrimage again to the other side of the garden.
Yes; it is beau-ti-ful," answered Peony, pronouncing the three syllables with deliberate accuracy.
Perhaps, Peony, it will make them red if we both kiss them
The mother thought to herself that it must certainly be the daughter of one of the neighbors, and that, seeing Violet and Peony in the garden, the child had run across the street to play with them.
Thesaurus browser ?
- pentobarbital sodium
- peony family
- People against Gangsterism and Drugs
- people in power
- people of color
- people of colour
- People's Liberation Army
- People's Mujahidin of Iran
- People's Party
- People's Republic of Bangladesh
- People's Republic of China
- People's Republican Army
- pep pill
- pep rally
- pep talk
- pep up
- Peperomia argyreia
- Peperomia sandersii
Full browser ?
- peony family
- PEOP model
- Peopel Organized to Win Employment Rights
- People (who live) in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
- People Accessing Careers and Education
- People Achieving Change Through Technology
- People Achieving Change Together
- People Acting Normal in Crazy-Ass Situations
- People Acting to Stop Abuse, Inc.
- People Advocating Animal Welfare Services
- People Advocating Vaccine Education
- People Affected by HIV/AIDS
- People Afraid of Angry Monkeys
- People Against Boredom
- People Against Cancer
- People Against Casino Town
- People Against Child Exploitation
- People Against Chimpanzee Experiments
- People Against Coercive Treatment