References in classic literature ?
was/ a naval officer, a lieutenant of thirty-one, who, after seventeen years' service, had been turned out of her Majesty's employ with the barren honour of a commander's rank, because it was impossible that he should be promoted.
Looking round I saw the naval officer whom I had noticed when the passengers came aboard.
In the narrative I purpose telling my story in a less formal, and I hope, a more entertaining, style; though, being only a naval officer and without claim to the slightest literary ability, I shall most certainly fall far short of the possibilities which are inherent in my subject.
It was the commander of a Chinese man-of-war who received a copy of the edict of 1972 from the hand of my illustrious ancestor, Admiral Turck, on one hundred seventy-five, two hundred and six years ago, and from the yellowed pages of the admiral's diary I learned that the fate of the Philippines was even then presaged by these Chinese naval officers.
This peace will be turning all our rich naval officers ashore.
WE will not follow all the steps of the Admiral's return and installation, but hurry forward towards the catastrophe, merely chronicling by the way a few salient incidents, wherein we must rely entirely upon the evidence of Richard, for Esther to this day has never opened her mouth upon this trying passage of her life, and as for the Admiral - well, that naval officer, although still alive, and now more suitably installed in a seaport town where he has a telescope and a flag in his front garden, is incapable of throwing the slightest gleam of light upon the affair.
The general remembered that I had formerly been a naval officer and he gave me the command of this expedition.
By the rich brown of his complexion, as well as by a certain sort of swagger in his walk, I should have said that he was a naval officer ashore, had he not told me who he was of his own accord.
During his childhood he had often heard a sister of Aunt Louisa, the widow of a naval officer, spoken of as Aunt Emily.
1844; Santanstoe, 1845; The Chainbearer, 1846; Lives of Distinguished American Naval Officers,
Merchants, common sailors, captains of vessels, skippers, both of Europe and America, naval officers of all countries, and the Governments of several States on the two continents, were deeply interested in the matter.
If a stranger were introduced into any miscellaneous metropolitan society, it would but slightly advance the general opinion of his merits, were he presented to the company as a harpooneer, say; and if in emulation of the naval officers he should append the initials S.
Military officers destitute of military knowledge; naval officers with no idea of a ship; civil officers without a notion of affairs; brazen ecclesiastics, of the worst world worldly, with sensual eyes, loose tongues, and looser lives; all totally unfit for their several callings, all lying horribly in pretending to belong to them, but all nearly or remotely of the order of Monseigneur, and therefore foisted on all public employments from which anything was to be got; these were to be told off by the score and the score.
03 (ANI): The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Saturday rebuffed a media report on retired Indian Naval Officer Kulbhushan Jadhav, saying that the article has "presented a mischievous false story".
The arrest of Kulbhushan Jadhav on March 3, 2016, revealed that the Indian national was involved in attempts of destabilising Pakistan and that he was a Naval Officer.
Thesaurus browser ?
- nautical linear unit
- nautical mile
- nautical signal flag
- naval academy
- Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division
- naval attache
- naval battle
- naval blockade
- naval brass
- naval campaign
- naval chart
- naval commander
- naval division
- naval engineer
- naval engineering
- naval equipment
- naval forces
- naval gun
- naval installation
- naval missile
- naval officer
- naval radar
- Naval Research Laboratory
- naval shipyard
- Naval Special Warfare
- Naval Surface Warfare Center
- naval tactical data system
- Naval Underwater Warfare Center
- naval unit
- naval weaponry
- navel orange
- navel point
- navigation light
- navigational chart
- navigational instrument
Full browser ?
- Naval Object Database of Imagery-Derived Information
- Naval Observatory
- Naval Observatory Flagstaff Station
- Naval Observatory Station
- Naval Observatory Vector Astrometry Subroutines
- Naval Observatory, District of Columbia
- Naval Observatory, United States
- Naval Occupation Database
- Naval Ocean Analysis and Prediction
- Naval Ocean Command Instruction
- Naval Ocean Facilities Program
- Naval Ocean Processing Facility
- Naval Ocean Processing Facility Detachment
- Naval Ocean Research & Development Activity
- Naval Ocean Surveillance Information Center
- Naval Ocean Surveillance System
- Naval Ocean Systems Center
- Naval Ocean Systems Center Detachment
- Naval Ocean Systems Center Instruction
- Naval Oceanographic & Meteorological Support System
- Naval Oceanographic and Atmospheric Research Laboratory
- Naval Oceanographic Office
- Naval Oceanographic Processing Facility
- Naval Oceanographic Requirements
- Naval Oceanography Command
- Naval Oceanography Command Center
- Naval Oceanography Command Detachment
- Naval Oceanography Command Facility
- Naval Oceanography Program
- Naval Oceaonagrapher ASW Center
- naval officer
- Naval Officer Assessment Board
- Naval Officer Training Centre
- Naval Officer Year One
- Naval Officers Residential Estate
- Naval Officers' Association of British Columbia
- Naval Officers' Association of Canada
- Naval Officers' Spouses' Association
- Naval Offshore Patrol Vessel
- Naval Oil Shale Reserves
- Naval On-Call Force, Mediterranean
- Naval Open Source Intelligence
- Naval Operating Areas
- naval operation
- naval operation
- Naval Operational Gulf Stream Forecast System
- Naval Operational Intelligence Center
- Naval Operational Intelligence Center Detachment
- Naval Operational Logistics Support Center
- Naval Operational Medicine Institute
- Naval Operational Planner Course
- Naval Operational Readiness Reporting System
- Naval Operational Tactical System
- Naval Operations
- Naval Operations Base
- Naval Operations Center
- Naval Operations Other Than War
- Naval Ophthalmic Support & Training Activity
- Naval Ophthalmic Support and Training Activity
- Naval Optimised Manning Integration Systems Engineering Tool Sets
- naval or Marine (air) base