References in periodicals archive ?
Indeed, Popper views all forms of contemporary historicism, even the "remarkable" work of Toynbee himself, as an effort to resuscitate tribalism's "closed society.
I mention this distinction in strategies to point out that in some ways John Bugg's exciting new book appears to be arguing against the second kind of historicism in order to embrace the first kind: a historicism that accounts for the way that literary works react to, and in a sense encode, specific historical conditions of the moment (Roe's work on Wordsworth and Coleridge is approvingly acknowledged throughout).
The problem is of internal assimilations, the divergence is due to different social and religio-cultural values, the difference is of historicism despite having a common history.
The book describes and evaluates the various approaches to using history in deciding constitutional questions, including historicism, intentionalism, and originalism.
Equally, while Fackenheim is not as commented upon a figure, a powerful debate could also have pressed a little more firmly upon the stability of Fackenheim's efforts to secure a transcendental standpoint, a divine standpoint beyond history, while also affirming a certain kind of existential historicism.
irreducible to both historicism and pure becoming" (9).
Rethinking Historicism from Shakespeare to Milton starts with the premise that 'Historicism has been the dominant mode of literary analysis in early modern studies for more than thirty years .
Most of the many approaches to studying historicism focuses on the written word, says Maurer (Syddansk U.
Beiser identifies classical German historicism as a philosophical tradition concerned with second-order reflection upon historical knowledge itself; its orientation was epistemological, not metaphysical.
Surrealists operate at the epistemic antipodes of historicism by creating an archive that serves "the return of what has been forgotten as the forgotten" (96).
To these words, he traces the fundamental distinction that New Historicists liked to make between "traditional historicism"--which was said to entail an "absolute reduction of the fundamental heterogeneity of the past"--and the New Historicism itself, which in emphasizing "the historicity of the historian's practice" claimed to avoid both "a presentist projection of contemporary concerns into the past" and "an antiquarian obsession with the past per se" (14, 16-17).
This latest in a series of elegant, minimal, object houses by Sean Godsell is a further speculation on the potential of an Australian vernacular that relates more explicitly to Asian regionalism than European historicism.
Architectural historicism was at this point an important way in which cities expressed their modernity, but buildings acted also as a form of moral address, providing a constant reminder of the ethical dimensions of citizenship.
Edited by Claremont Institute senior fellows John Marini and Ken Masugi, The Progressive Revolution in Politics and Political Science brings together eleven essays to explain the conflict between classic natural right and historicism that has been at the core of the Western philosophic tradition, and which plays itself out in an American context as the conflict between our country's founding principles and the modern administrative state.
Historicism, the English translation of the German "historismus," refers to the historiographical movement that developed in nineteenth-century Germany as a reaction to the expansion of the revolutionary ideas of the Enlightenment.
Thesaurus browser ?
- histiocytic leukaemia
- histiocytic leukemia
- histocompatibility complex
- historic period
- historical document
- historical linguistics
- historical paper
- historical present
- historical record
- historical school
- history department
- history lesson
- hit home
- hit it up
- hit list
- hit man
- hit parade
- hit squad
- hit the books
- hit the ceiling
- hit the deck
- hit the dirt
- hit the hay
- hit the jackpot
- hit the roof
- hit the sack
Full browser ?
- Historically Black College Tour
- Historically Black Colleges & Universities and Minority Institutions
- Historically black colleges and universities
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Minority Institutions
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities Undergraduate Program
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities/Minority Institutions
- Historically Black Collegiate Coalition
- Historically Black Graduate Institution
- Historically Black Greek Letter Organizations
- Historically Black Institution
- Historically black university
- Historically Disadvantaged Individual
- Historically Disadvantaged Persons
- Historically Disadvantaged South Africans
- Historically Inaccurate Rejected Chronological Chain of Oz
- Historically informed performance
- Historically Minority Colleges and Universities Consortium
- Historically Speaking
- Historically Underutilized Business
- Historically Underutilized Business Zone
- Historically Underutilized Small Business Coordinators
- Historically White College and University
- Historically White University
- Historico Automovel Clube de Entre Tejo e Sado