flexible sigmoidoscopy


Also found in: Dictionary, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Graphic Thesaurus  🔍
Display ON
Animation ON
Legend
Synonym
Antonym
Related
  • noun

Synonyms for flexible sigmoidoscopy

visual examination (with a sigmoidoscope) of the lower third of the colon in a search for polyps

Related Words

References in periodicals archive ?
A limitation of this study, however, was that only 40% of patients had a colonoscopy; the other 60% had a flexible sigmoidoscopy.
Neoplasia Yield for Repeat Flexible Sigmoidoscopy (Age Adjusted) 3-year interval 5-year interval (n = 9,000) (n = 24,000) Total cancer/ advanced adenoma per 1,000 Men 16 27 Women 8 12 Total cancer/ any adenoma Men 53 93 Women 31 51 Distal cancer/ advanced adenoma Men 10 16 Women 7 8 Distal cancer/ any adenoma Men 39 61 Women 26 36 Note: Data are from the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial.
Flexible sigmoidoscopy and the despecialization of endoscopy: an environmental impact report.
The odds ratio for an interval CRC with flexible sigmoidoscopy was 4.
Experts recommend that everyone age 50 and older at average risk of colorectal cancer undergo a colonoscopy every 10 years, a flexible sigmoidoscopy (exam of the lower third of the colon) every five years, a double-contrast barium enema every five years, or a computed tomography (CT) colonography every five years.
A wide variety of methods with varying screening intervals are available for screening adults aged 50 and older, including annual FOBT (guaiac or immunochemical), flexible sigmoidoscopy, or double-contrast barium enema every 5 years, and colonoscopy every 10 years.
Screening rates were higher for patients who received mailings, which contained an educational pamphlet, fecal occult blood test kit, and instructions for scheduling a flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy.
Flexible sigmoidoscopy findings are poor predictors of proximal colon findings in asymptomatic women.
Evidence for screening with flexible sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy comes primarily from case-control studies, and little information about appropriate upper-age limits is available.
Enterix requested this rule change in a comment submitted to Medicare earlier this year after a review of the proposed regulation that previously limited the types of colorectal cancer screening tests covered to include guaiac FOBT, flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy and barium enema.
CHICAGO -- The first randomized controlled trial to investigate the impact of population-based flexible sigmoidoscopy screening failed to find any significant reductions overall in colorectal cancer incidence or mortality.
Colonoscopy is the preferred screening method for patients who are at increased risk for developing colorectal cancer, while flexible sigmoidoscopy is considered adequate for average risk individuals, said Dr.
Attenuated FAR Patients with classic FAP can be followed via sigmoidoscopy; those with attenuated FAP require colonoscopy because their polyps cluster on the right side of the colon, out of the reach of flexible sigmoidoscopy.
Full browser ?