References in periodicals archive ?
A steel tire is shrunk tightly upon the wheel to provide a wearing surface, while holding the felloe firmly on the spokes and the spokes tightly into the hub.
It implies that barrow wheels may have been as demanding to make as any cart wheel as far as the making and setting of spokes, hub and felloes was concerned but did not require the skills of axle-making and fitting the axle into the hub.
Lastly, according to all pictorial evidence, no wheelbarrow wheel displays the nails in the felloes typical of the Shandong cart, although these were important for the strength of large, slim wheels, according to Wegener Sleeswyk, 'Form and function', pp.
Yuan, "Disfigurement and Reconstruction in Oliver Wendell Holmes's 'The Human Wheel, Its Spokes and Felloes, in The Body and Physical Difference: Discourses of Disability, ed.
But the secret to a good 'wagon' wheel is to use three different types of wood - elm for the hubs (because its grain runs horizontally and vertically), oak for the spokes and ash for the felloes (the sections around the outside which become the actual 'wheel' before being finished off by the blacksmiths who had the means of heating up metal and bending it on anvils).
Top scorer (combined) - Tote: 6 Atherton, 13-2 Crawley, 7 Faibrother, Flintoff, 15-2 Byas, 8 White, 12 Chilton, McGrath, Vaughan, Wood, 14 Lloyd, Watkinson, 16 Harden, 20 Parker, 25 Hamilton, 33 Blakey, 40 Felloes, Hegg, 66 Austin, 100 Chapple.
The hub, spokes and felloes of one wheel were missing; the other wheel wasn't in much better shape.
Mike made new felloes and spokes and fitted them into the rebuilt hubs before he, Darrell, and a wheelwright friend, Bob Fortner, heated and shrank the original iron tires onto them.
Felloes (the wheel's outer wooden rim) were formed by bending longer pieces into a semi-circle or by cutting a series of shorter segments and connecting them.
Their grain-tight boxes were designed to keep flax and seed from spilling out of the wagons and double-riveted felloes provided even more strength to the wheels.
I've found details like those imprinted on inside box panels, side board cleats, and bottom and top of the box floor as well as inner and outer axle faces, inner wheel felloes, bolsters and brake blocks.
"This had a two-fold purpose: First, it kept the wooden felloes from coming apart and separating from the spokes, and second, the iron band (called a tire) wore much better than wood.
It is used to line the tenons on buggy spokes with the holes in felloes on buggy wheels."
The product's most unique feature, though, was its wheels, which had wooden spokes and felloes, and steel tires 1 1/2 inches thick by 5 inches wide.
Thesaurus browser ?
- Felis bengalensis
- Felis catus
- Felis chaus
- Felis concolor
- Felis domesticus
- Felis manul
- Felis ocreata
- Felis onca
- Felis pardalis
- Felis serval
- Felis silvestris
- Felis tigrina
- Felis wiedi
- Felis yagouaroundi
- Felix Klein
- Felix Mendelssohn
- Feliz Lusitania
- felled seam
- fellow citizen
- fellow feeling
- fellow member
- fellow traveler
- fellow traveller
- fellow worker
- felt fern
- felt fungus
- felt hat
- felt tip
- felt up
- felt-tip pen
- felt-tipped pen
Full browser ?
- Felling and Hauling Machine
- Felling Boss
- Felling Contract
- Felling Male Voice Choir
- Felling, Arthur
- Fellini Federico
- Fellini, Federico
- Fellini, Federico
- Fellini, Federico
- Fellner Wratzfeld Partner
- Fellner, William
- Fellow Academy of Medical Sciences
- Fellow American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Fellow American Academy of Medical Administrators
- Fellow American Academy of Nursing
- Fellow American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
- Fellow American College of Chest Physicians
- Fellow American College of Foot Surgery
- Fellow American College of Healthcare Executives
- Fellow American College of Internal Medicine
- Fellow American College of Medical Toxicology
- Fellow American Dental Implant Association
- Fellow American Society of Genealogists
- Fellow Biomaterials Science and Engineering
- Fellow British Institute of Management
- Fellow Certified Corporate Executive Accountant
- Fellow Certified General Accountant
- Fellow Certified Management Accountant
- Fellow Certified Management Consultant
- Fellow Certified Professional Estimator
- Fellow Certified Project Accountant
- Fellow Certified Risk Planner
- Fellow Chartered Accountant