coca plant


Also found in: Dictionary, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Graphic Thesaurus  🔍
Display ON
Animation ON
Legend
Synonym
Antonym
Related
  • noun

Synonyms for coca plant

a South American shrub whose leaves are chewed by natives of the Andes

References in periodicals archive ?
The text explores how caffeine became the most popular stimulant on earth; how the coca plant became the source of both a tremendously powerful addictive drug and a prime ingredient of Coca-Cola, how Coca-Cola reacted to being in the crossroads of a burgeoning drug war over cocaine (today Coca-Cola uses a cocaine-free extract of the coca leaf in its drinks); and much more.
The difference is that Morales, aside from being an authentic leader, defends the cultivation of the coca plant in his country, but has been very clear when he says that "growing coca is not the same as drug-trafficking."
a coca plant growing in the garden of a woman who used the leaves to treat her son's medical condition.
He said 300,000 hectares of rainforest are destroyed each year in Colombia to clear land for coca plant cultivation, which is largely controlled by illegal groups such as the left-wing guerilla organisation FARC.
The coca plant, from which cocaine is derived, has many uses in traditional Andean culture.Bolivian police, working with DEA agents, have dramatically increased their cocaine seizures under Morales.
Stephanie Maher Palenque's Crack & Cocaine (0766021696, $23.95) will appeal to grades 5-7 with its 104 pages of detail on cocaine use, from the history of the coca plant and the effects cocaine has on the body to addiction and treatment issues.
According to Gomez, the most environmentally friendly and effective way to destroy coca cultivations is by manual eradication, as this method gets rid of the coca plant's roots.
* The drug is extracted from the leaves of the coca plant found in South America.
The Congressional Research Service reports that 90% of the chemicals used to convert the medicinal and spiritual coca plant into a narcotic are manufactured in the US, with the remaining 10% manufactured in Europe, not Latin America.
As a follow up to your article "The Drug War on the Amazon," (Currents, November/December 2004), I would suggest Wired magazine's "The Mystery of the Coca Plant That Wouldn't Die" by Joshua Davis (www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.11/ columbia.html).
-Cocaine is a white crystalline powder extracted from the leaves of the South American coca plant. It is a stimulant.
Have you ever wondered, for example, why tobacco plants produce nicotine, or why the coca plant synthesizes cocaine?
My Indigenous sisters tell me that the coca plant is actually a sacred medicine they have harvested since time immemorial.
The Council has spelled out clearly that drugs production encompasses growing opium poppy, or the cannabis or coca plant.Some Member States, notably Sweden and the Netherlands, question whether people who trade in chemical precursors should be classified in the same way as the other traffickers.