References in periodicals archive ?
South Yemen was focused on Aden, a coaling station at the bottom of the Red Sea that was occupied by the British in 1843.
The Navy established one of the first naval radio stations at the fort before leaving in 1907, only to return shortly to use the base as a coaling station for a number of years.
The harbor at Pago Pago was reserved for a coaling station for U.
Coalinga is named for Coaling Station A, once a stop for steam locomotives, which stoked up on coal from a local mine.
That same year, the Depot assumed management of the La Playa Coaling Station at Point Loma.
24, 1901 when acting secretary of war, Elihu Root, by direction of President Theodore Roosevelt, ordered the transfer of 360 acres of land from the Department of the Army's Fort Rosecrans military reservation to the Department of Navy for the purpose of constructing a coaling station.
In this remote region, Western businessmen nurtured fantasies of windfall profits from cotton, coconuts, and sugar; jingoists saw opportunities to exalt further their nations; and government officials attempted to acquire coaling stations and naval bases for their growing fleets.
He covers empire and the politics of information, the engineering economy, the economy of time and space, the slavery solution, the debate over coaling stations, and inventing logistics.
A set of indexes guides readers to coaling stations, interlocking stations and former interlocking stations, passenger and non-passenger stations, tunnels, and viaducts.
We learned about the interconnected worlds of the Indian Ocean, and why a British realm centered in India was so concerned about its coaling stations in the Arabian peninsula, in what is now Yemen.
In the late 19th century, the United States expanded its Navy and by 1900, became the third largest Navy in the world, but to fuel the fleet, the Navy needed coaling stations and repair yards around the globe--like the one offered by Hawaii.
Coaling stations were built at intervals, with the colonies of the British Empire providing many suitable locations so that steamers could reach all parts of the globe.
Components include: Interlinking Pattern and Production Management Systems, Continuous Mixers, Refractory Coaling Stations, Manual and Automatic Mold Closers.
The coal owner and his brother opened coaling stations around the world, supplying coal on a worldwide basis, most from their collieries in Rhondda.
The principal sea-trade routes, naval dockyards, oiling stations and oilfields, coaling stations, wireless stations, railways and other details of economic importance are also shown; while a set of diagrams and tables shows the amount and relative importance of trade in various parts of the Empire.
Thesaurus browser ?
- coal gas
- coal house
- coal industry
- coal mine
- coal miner
- coal miner's lung
- coal oil
- coal scuttle
- coal seam
- coal shovel
- coal tar
- coal tongs
- coaling station
- coal-tar creosote
- coast banksia
- coast boykinia
- coast lily
- coast live oak
- Coast Mountains
- coast polypody
Full browser ?
- Coalfields Regeneration Trust
- Coalfish Whale
- Coalfish Whale
- Coalgate High School
- Coalicion Canaria
- Coalición Centroamericana Democrática
- Coalición Costarricense de Iniciativas de Desarrollo
- Coalición de Derechos Humanos
- Coalición Nuevo Partido Socialista
- Coalición Técnica del Corredor Biológico de Osa
- coaling station
- Coalinga State Hospital
- Coalinga-Huron Unified Teachers Association
- Coalition & Special Warfare
- Coalition '98/North-Central Democratic Centre Party
- Coalition 4 Responsible Growth
- Coalition Acquisition Review Board
- coalition action
- Coalition Aerial Surveillance And Reconnaissance
- Coalition After Property Tax Reform
- Coalition Against Abusive Lending
- Coalition Against Acid Reflux Disease
- Coalition Against Agricultural Barriers to Trade
- Coalition Against Asian American Bashing
- Coalition against Bayer Dangers
- Coalition Against Bigger Trucks
- Coalition Against Blue Ridge Landfill Expansion
- Coalition Against Counterfeiting and Piracy
- Coalition Against Database Piracy
- Coalition Against Domain Name Abuse
- Coalition Against Domestic Violence - Nassau County
- Coalition Against Election Fraud
- Coalition against Financial Exploitation of the Elderly
- Coalition Against Gambling in New York
- Coalition Against Global Extremism