References in periodicals archive ?
28) Now 'Hector', we hear at the end of the book, in an unusual afflux of the present tense for a Walter Scott novel, 'is rising rapidly in the army, and has been more than once mentioned in the Gazette'; The antiquary 'is [.
In the Cotton biography, Mirrlees harks back to the Elizabethan era for her model of antiquarianism, Cotton, as a leading antiquary of the period, providing a focal point.
Indeed, the "melding of the scientific with the imaginative," Kelly Eileen Battles has argued, is a hallmark of the kind of antiquated antiquarianism against which professional medieval studies sought to define itself in the decades leading up to the publication of Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, an observation that begins to help us understand the shadowy valence of James's curious title and the professional self-definition it entails.
In the end, however, Scott allows that the balance promoted by The Antiquary is ultimately unsustainable and that his ideological position must fail the stringent test of fiction: the novel's denouement--which confirms Scott's sense of history as a contested legacy--reveals political and economic energies that cannot be contained by the triumph of entail.
In "The Ancient City" she dramatizes the choices made by a woman writer whose talent is judged and dismissed by a variety of critics; her potential for genius is overshadowed by the "Great Work" of an elderly antiquary, Professor Mac-quoid (1).
M R James's Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, first published over a century ago, are still the most admired tales of the supernatural in the English language.
Griffith, "Harry of Monmouth, Henry V of England: Local Esteem and National Reputation," The Monmouthshire Antiquary, 19 (2003): 80.
John Stow, antiquary, chronicler, topographer, editor, collector of manuscripts, and merchant tailor, was an elder contemporary of Shakespeare whose work impinged most directly on Shakespeare's through Stow s contributions to Holinshed's Chronicles and possibly through Stew's updated (and unsuccessful) rival to Holinshed, the Annals of 1592.
We first met Jonathan Oldbuck in Scott's third novel, The Antiquary, which lampoons the practice of antiquarianism.
Miller's illuminating study of Nicolas-Claude Fabri de Peiresc, organized around the cultural function of the antiquary, makes an excellent contribution to early modern intellectual and social history.
There is, however, an instance of the verb being used more than a century after the last OED reference, in Elisa Powell, or Trials of Sensibility: A Series of Original Letters Collected by a Welsh Curate, 2 vols (London, 1795), a novel by the Welsh antiquary Edward Davies (1756-1831).
Many of the 60 bottles of Antiquary Whisky - from the 1940s and 50s - are still in their original crates.
Though gesturing towards this paradox, Parry's working model of the antiquary remains somewhat traditional: a William Dugdale or Henry Spelman, High Churchmen impelled towards preservation through a consciousness of England's vanished monastic past, or through witnessing parliamentarian damage to churches.
English scholar and antiquary known especially for a history of Cornwall.
1571 - 1631) English antiquary, collector of books, manuscripts, coins, medals, etc.
Thesaurus browser ?
- anti-personnel bomb
- antipodal opposition
- antiprotozoal drug
- antipsychotic agent
- antipsychotic drug
- anti-racketeering law
- Antirrhinum coulterianum
- Antirrhinum filipes
- Antirrhinum majus
- antisocial personality disorder
- antispasmodic agent
Full browser ?
- Antiquarian Book Dealers Association of South Carolina
- Antiquarian Book Monthly Review
- Antiquarian Booksellers
- Antiquarian Booksellers Association of Canada
- Antiquarian Booksellers Association of Japan
- Antiquarian Booksellers of New Jersey
- Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America
- Antiquarian Horological Society
- Antiquariorum Regiae Societatis Socius
- Antiquary barrow
- Antique & Vintage Woods of America
- Antique Advertising Association of America
- Antique Airplane Association
- Antique Americana Folk Art
- Antique and Amusement Photographers International
- Antique and Classic Boat Rendezvous
- Antique and Classic Boat Society
- Antique and Classic Car Club of Canada
- Antique and Classic Snowmobile Club of Canada
- Antique and Collectible Show Promoters Association