References in periodicals archive ?
Annalistic evidence is occasionally built on and speculation ensues: The battle of Tara fought between Amlaib Cuaran, king of Dublin, and the aforementioned Mael Sechnaill, may have commenced "perhaps even as the king of Meath [Mael Sechnaill] was being inaugurated as high-king" (51).
Virgil appropriates Homer in all his works but reinvigorates the epic form with allusions to Alexandrian poets; Theocritus; Callimachus; Apollonius of Rhodes; Attic tragedians; annalistic poets such as Naevius and Ennius; neoteric poets Catullus and Cinna; as well as members of his own poetic coterie, like the elegist Gallus.
Many of the titles presented in sections 1 ('Works in the annalistic pattern') and 2 ('Official and private historical compilations in general') also contain information on Southeast Asia and the borderlands of southern China, but these texts are more difficult to access.
The topics discussed include Christianity and paganism in Adam of Bremen's narrative, the creation of an Icelandic Christian identity in Islendingabok, Gallus Anonymus' narrative about Poland and its rulers, Christian identity in the Chronicle of the Czechs by Cosmas of Prague, and Christian identity in the early Novgorodian annalistic writing.
If we were to take Aristotle literally, the only kind of historical writing he would recognize as such would be the kind of annalistic historical writings practiced in his own times .
By contrast, the essays by Elizabethanne Boran on the motivation of Dudley Loftus in assembling an annalistic history of the English in Ireland in the late seventeenth century, by the late A.
Calpurnius Piso Frugi and the Roman Annalistic Tradition I.
So Ricoeur (1990, 206-25) suggests that even ostensibly "eventless" stories (such as annalistic histories) nevertheless include "quasi-plots" involving "quasi-events" and "quasi-characters.
The published manuscript has the form of an annalistic chronicle divided into eight parts, each part subdivided by topics, which the editor calls "chapters"--873 in all.
He includes, though, far more detail and a far broader context: his treatment is annalistic and broken into episodes.
With the exception of the rigorous annalistic kind of historiography, the preferred solution is usually the successive narration of more or less completed events relying on the help of previews and flashbacks.
5) It is clear that the writers of annalistic histories who wrote under the Flavians and who were the main sources upon which Suetonius drew for the period of Vespasian's pre-imperial life felt expected to laud the current dynasty and expose the failings of the Julio-Claudians and their transient successors; those writing after Domitian's death, like Tacitus and Suetonius, had a freer hand, but were still restrained by the continued existence and influence of friends and beneficiaries of the Flavians.
640-764 CE; Dotson 2009): short annalistic entries that may mention military campaigns, but usually not the exact whereabouts.
Chapter 2 (Harrison) is a succinct survey and characterization of "Cistercian Chronicling in the British Isles" and includes a useful list of surviving manuscripts of annalistic chronicles from at least eleven identified convents in the British Isles.
Not unsurprisingly, then, the highest proportion of split subjects in the corpus appears in narrative and annalistic texts (in which different actions involving many different characters are presented in fast succession), a suitable context for the use of such mechanisms of discourse organisation.
Thesaurus browser ?
- ankle brace
- ankle bracelet
- ankle joint
- ankylosing spondylitis
- Ann Arbor
- Anna Amalia Mercouri
- Anna Eleanor Roosevelt
- Anna Howard Shaw
- Anna Mary Robertson Moses
- Anna Pavlova
- Anne Boleyn
- Anne Bradstreet
- Anne Bronte
- Anne Dudley Bradstreet
- Anne Hathaway
- Anne Hutchinson
- Anne Mansfield Sullivan
- Anne Robert Jacques Turgot
- Anne Sexton
- Anne Sullivan
- annelid worm
Full browser ?
- Annagul Annakulieva
- Annaka, Gunma
- Annaklych Miatadzhi
- Annakulieva, Annagul
- Annakut Festival
- Annale School of History
- Annalee Mobilitee Dolls, Inc.
- Annales Academiae Scientiarum Fennicae
- Annales Archéologiques Arabes Syriennes
- Annales de Toxicologie Analytique
- Annales Française d'Anesthésie et de Réanimation
- Annales History
- Annales Mathématiques Blaise Pascal
- Annales School
- Annales School of History
- Annali Dello Spiritismo
- Annalong Canoe and Kayak Club
- Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine
- Annals of Applied Probability
- Annals of Applied Statistics
- Annals of Archaeology and Anthropology
- Annals of Biomedical Engineering
- Annals of Botany
- Annals of Clinical and Laboratory Science
- Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials
- Annals of Discrete Mathematics
- Annals of Emergency Medicine
- Annals of Family Medicine
- Annals of Human Genetics
- Annals of Improbable Research
- Annals of Information Systems
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- Annals of Irreproducible Results
- Annals of Mathematical Statistics
- Annals of Mathematics
- Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence
- Annals of Noninvasive Electrocardiology