Apidae

(redirected from Social bee)
Also found in: Dictionary, Encyclopedia.
Graphic Thesaurus  🔍
Display ON
Animation ON
Legend
Synonym
Antonym
Related
  • noun

Synonyms for Apidae

References in periodicals archive ?
In contrast to social complexity theory is the idea that both solitary and social bees, in fact, do not differ in cognitive abilities because foraging for pollen and nectar, whether or not an individual is a member of a social group, requires the same skills in order to successfully compete with other species.
The life cycle and behavior of the social bee Lasioglossum (Dialictus) umbripenne (Hymenoptera: Halictidae) Rev.
Allozyme variation, linkage disequilibrium and diploid male production of a primitively social bee Augochlorella striata (Hymenoptera; Halictidae).
The forests in the plateau region had a minimum distance of 4 km apart, which was generally greater than the foraging distance of the dominant social bees.
mellifera was above 98%, while the remaining 2% were native bees (solitary bees: Megachile, Augochlora, Lasioglossum, Hylaeus and Ceratina; social bees Frieseomelitta nigra and Lestrimelitta niitkib, Fig 1).
One section deals exclusively with a variety of insect types such as social bees, seed-sucking and sap-sucking insects, defoliators, fruit flies, and predatory beetles.
Social bees are like a big family: The queen is the mother, the workers are the daughters, and the drones are the sons.
Anthophora bees are also social bees, though their nests tend to be more dispersed over a larger area than those of the Anthidium bees.
Anthopbora bees are also social bees, though their nests tend to be more dispersed over a larger area than those of the Anthidium bees.
The honeybee is the most well-known of all the social bees.
Social bees, such as the honeybee, which live in nests or hives, may swarm as part of their lifecycle (to set up a colony with a queen) or as a defence against intruders - researchers in Japan have discovered that honeybees will swarm to protect their colony from hornets.