She is the third person to die in Australia from eating the silky, white-green tipped Death Cap mushroom
this year, after a Chinese chef and his kitchen-hand died in January after mistakenly eating the toxic fungi.
The death cap mushroom
, which resembles the common white button mushroom, contains one of the most deadly poisons found in nature, a-amanitin.
While most puffballs are not poisonous some often look similar to the death cap mushroom
. All puffballs gathered in mushroom hunting should be cut in half lengthwise; young puffballs in the edible stage have white flesh.
No, we've gone for a more literal approach by stuffing this sarnie with a pound of lard, death cap mushroom
topping and a flavoursome arsenic mayonnaise.
But what you really have to be careful about is the death cap mushroom
(Amanita phalloides, called a Gruner Knollenblatterpilz in German), or the fly agaric (Amanita muscaria, or German roter Fliegenpilz) which are truly deadly.
In California, there have been several poisonings and some deaths from eating Amanita phalloides, or the death cap mushroom
. The victims confused this deadly mushroom with one they thought was safe.
At the opposite end of the scale is the death cap mushroom
- the most poisonous of all mushrooms.
Death cap mushrooms
are toxic and can be deadly to pigs.