Hauy worked exclusively with a contact goniometer, and in Fig.
Bancks's model, because of its simplicity and ease of use, was widely disseminated, and became the standard contact goniometer.
The relatively complicated Laumont contact goniometer appears to have found little if any acceptance; the author knows of no existing examples of this type.
A full-circle contact goniometer also originated in the Fuess workshops.
Even though the contact goniometer still didn't allow precise measurements, its invention entirely revolutionized crystallography, transforming it from the description of the crystal form to exact measurements.
The earliest stationary contact goniometer was described in 1824 by Jacques-Louis Compte de Bournon (1751-1825).
A further development in this type of contact goniometer was presented by Ours-Pierre-Armand Dufrenoy in his book Traite de mineralogie (1856), which contains a construction sketch as well [ILLUSTRATION FOR FIGURE 20 OMITTED].