At about this time emerges one of the two great theorists of the Revival, Augustus Welby Pugin
In the 1830s and 1840s, the crusading spirit crossed to England, where Augustus Welby Pugin
, shifting the field of debate to architecture again, advocated Gothic architecture as an expression of spiritual values.
But Augustus Welby Pugin
, the ''greatest 19th century architect, designer and writer'', also managed to design The Metropolitan Cathedral and Basilica of St Chad Birmingham before he died aged just 40 in 1852.
Designed by Augustus Welby Pugin
, a renowned Gothic revivalist architect, St Chad's, which now towers over a traffic island on Birmingham's inner ring road, was the first Catholic cathedral to be built in England after the Reformation.
The church, a grade two listed building, was designed by Edward Pugin, son of Augustus Welby Pugin
It was built to complement Bilton Grange, completed 20 years earlier by Augustus Welby Pugin
St Chad's was built by renowned 19th century architect Augustus Welby Pugin
and was completed by 1841.
During a tour of the stunning church, designed by Edward Welby Pugin, son of the great Augustus Welby Pugin
, Fr Andrew confides he's been having a nightmare morning with the monastery's computers.
Now it has culminated in a definitive book on the stained glass of the Victorian architect Augustus Welby Pugin
In partnership with the architect Augustus Welby Pugin
, Minton & Co went on to pave and decorate churches across the Midlands and beyond, including (what is generally regarded as their masterpiece) St Giles' Roman Catholic church at Cheadle in Staffordshire.
Once the chains were off (and slowly at first) Catholics began to build churches once more, bishops were appointed and architects like Augustus Welby Pugin
began to take on commissions.
The Birmingham company, John Hardman & Co Ltd, was founded in 1838 when John Hardman left the family button-making business to collaborate with his friend, Augustus Welby Pugin
, to produce metalwork.
It sits in a conservation area close to the church which was built in 1860 and designed by the architect Edward Welby Pugin, son of Augustus Welby Pugin
who was the co-architect for the House of Commons.
It was built in 1839 by Gothic architect Augustus Welby Pugin
John Hardman's Studio was founded in 1838 in a collaboration between himself and designer Augustus Welby Pugin
, originally to produce metalwork.