References in classic literature ?
With hands clasped behind her back the school teacher walked up and down in the schoolroom and talked very rapidly.
Day by day as she worked in the schoolroom or walked in the streets, grief, hope, and desire fought within her.
The changing of the bare, ugly little schoolroom into a bower of beauty; Miss Dearborn's pleasure at her success with the Simpson twins' recitation; the privilege of decorating the blackboard; the happy thought of drawing Columbia from the cigar box; the intoxicating moment when the school clapped her
Thanks being returned for what we had not got, and a second hymn chanted, the refectory was evacuated for the schoolroom.
A quarter of an hour passed before lessons again began, during which the schoolroom was in a glorious tumult; for that space of time it seemed to be permitted to talk loud and more freely, and they used their privilege.
The rest of the half-year is a jumble in my recollection of the daily strife and struggle of our lives; of the waning summer and the changing season; of the frosty mornings when we were rung out of bed, and the cold, cold smell of the dark nights when we were rung into bed again; of the evening schoolroom dimly lighted and indifferently warmed, and the morning schoolroom which was nothing but a great shivering-machine; of the alternation of boiled beef with roast beef, and boiled mutton with roast mutton; of clods of bread-and-butter, dog's-eared lesson-books, cracked slates, tear-blotted copy-books, canings, rulerings, hair-cuttings, rainy Sundays, suet-puddings, and a dirty atmosphere of ink, surrounding all.
Come and kiss dear mamma; and then won't you show Miss Grey your schoolroom, and your nice new books?
It's so hot in the schoolroom," she said, "and some of the girls, poor things, are so ill-tempered at rehearsal--I have made my escape.
After this, there was another hour of crouching in the schoolroom and shivering with cold, and then school began again.
Before breakfast, a walk with Sir Pitt and his spud; after breakfast studies (such as they are) in the schoolroom; after schoolroom, reading and writing about lawyers, leases, coal-mines, canals, with Sir Pitt (whose secretary I am become); after dinner, Mr.
He got up and submissively followed her to the schoolroom.
We entered the playground enclosure, and walked by the schoolroom window to get round to the door, which was situated at the back of the building.
And he said, This schoolroom is an immense town, and in it there are a million of inhabitants, and only five-and-twenty are starved to death in the streets, in the course of a year.
One winter day when a slight fall of snow was feathering the sills and frames of the schoolroom windows, he stood at his black board, crayon in hand, about to commence with a class; when, reading in the countenances of those boys that there was something wrong, and that they seemed in alarm for him, he turned his eyes to the door towards which they faced.
In poor Maggie's highly-strung, hungry nature,--just come away from a third-rate schoolroom, with all its jarring sounds and petty round of tasks,--these apparently trivial causes had the effect of rousing and exalting her imagination in a way that was mysterious to herself.
Thesaurus browser ?
- school teacher
- school term
- school text
- school year
- school-age child
- Schreiber's aster
- Schrodinger equation
- Schrodinger wave equation
- Schuller-Christian disease
Full browser ?
- Schoolnet Academy of Insurance and Financial Advisors
- Schoolnet National Advisory Board
- Schoolnet News Network
- Schoolnet Youth Advisory Board
- Schools & Libraries Corporation
- Schools Adolescent Lifestyle and Substance Use Survey
- Schools and Communities in Partnership
- Schools and Libraries Division
- Schools and Police Liaison Activities for the Summer Holidays
- Schools and Programmes Register
- Schools and School Districts
- Schools and Staffing Survey
- Schools and Universities Polo Association
- Schools Around the World
- Schools Building and Design Unit
- Schools Clean Up Day
- Schools Construction Corporation
- Schools Cooperative Opportunities for Resources and Education
- Schools Council Integrated Science Project
- Schools Educators Police Liaison Association
- Schools Facing Challenging Circumstances
- Schools Facing Exceptionally Challenging Circumstances
- Schools First Federal Credit Union
- Schools for Adults
- Schools for Apprenticeship in Industry
- Schools for Fair Funding, Inc.
- Schools for Kolkhoz Youth
- Schools for Peasant Youth
- Schools for Rural Youth