References in classic literature ?
A quarter of an hour passed before lessons again began, during which the schoolroom was in a glorious tumult; for that space of time it seemed to be permitted to talk loud and more freely, and they used their privilege.
A clock in the schoolroom struck nine; Miss Miller left her circle, and standing in the middle of the room, cried -
The new part, containing the schoolroom and dormitory, was lit by mullioned and latticed windows, which gave it a church-like aspect; a stone tablet over the door bore this inscription:-
Come and kiss dear mamma; and then won't you show Miss Grey your schoolroom, and your nice new books?
I won't kiss YOU, mamma; but I WILL show Miss Grey my schoolroom, and my new books.
Dempster, and was about to leave the schoolroom, when the forlorn position of Jacob Postlethwaite, piteously sniffing on the stool of penitence, attracted her attention as she passed him, and made her stop good-humouredly to speak a word to the little prisoner before she opened the door.
This said, she bowed, and led the way out of the schoolroom.
What has happened in the schoolroom," she resumed, "has so completely distracted my attention from the subject of the letter, that I feel a little bewildered when I try to return to it.
If, in walking up the schoolroom, I pass near her, she puts out her foot that it may touch mine; if I do not happen to observe the manoeuvre, and my boot comes in contact with her brodequin, she affects to fall into convulsions of suppressed laughter; if I notice the snare and avoid it, she expresses her mortification in sullen muttering, where I hear myself abused in bad French, pronounced with an intolerable Low German accent.
It happened that I came one day to give a lesson when I was indisposed; I had a bad cold and a cough; two hours' incessant talking left me very hoarse and tired; as I quitted the schoolroom, and was passing along the corridor, I met Mdlle.
Seated at my own table in clear noonday light I saw a person whom, without my previous experience, I should have taken at the first blush for some housemaid who might have stayed at home to look after the place and who, availing herself of rare relief from observation and of the schoolroom table and my pens, ink, and paper, had applied herself to the considerable effort of a letter to her sweetheart.
With hands clasped behind her back the school teacher walked up and down in the schoolroom and talked very rapidly.
Day by day as she worked in the schoolroom or walked in the streets, grief, hope, and desire fought within her.
The changing of the bare, ugly little schoolroom into a bower of beauty; Miss Dearborn's pleasure at her success with the Simpson twins' recitation; the privilege of decorating the blackboard; the happy thought of drawing Columbia from the cigar box; the intoxicating moment when the school clapped her
The rest of the half-year is a jumble in my recollection of the daily strife and struggle of our lives; of the waning summer and the changing season; of the frosty mornings when we were rung out of bed, and the cold, cold smell of the dark nights when we were rung into bed again; of the evening schoolroom dimly lighted and indifferently warmed, and the morning schoolroom which was nothing but a great shivering-machine; of the alternation of boiled beef with roast beef, and boiled mutton with roast mutton; of clods of bread-and-butter, dog's-eared lesson-books, cracked slates, tear-blotted copy-books, canings, rulerings, hair-cuttings, rainy Sundays, suet-puddings, and a dirty atmosphere of ink, surrounding all.
Thesaurus browser ?
- school system
- school teacher
- school term
- school text
- school year
- school-age child
- Schreiber's aster
- Schrodinger equation
- Schrodinger wave equation
- Schuller-Christian disease
Full browser ?
- Schoolnet Academy of Insurance and Financial Advisors
- Schoolnet National Advisory Board
- Schoolnet News Network
- Schoolnet Youth Advisory Board
- Schools & Libraries Corporation
- Schools Adolescent Lifestyle and Substance Use Survey
- Schools and Communities in Partnership
- Schools and Libraries Division
- Schools and Police Liaison Activities for the Summer Holidays
- Schools and Programmes Register
- Schools and School Districts
- Schools and Staffing Survey
- Schools and Universities Polo Association
- Schools Around the World
- Schools Building and Design Unit
- Schools Clean Up Day
- Schools Construction Corporation
- Schools Cooperative Opportunities for Resources and Education
- Schools Council Integrated Science Project
- Schools Educators Police Liaison Association
- Schools Facing Challenging Circumstances
- Schools Facing Exceptionally Challenging Circumstances
- Schools First Federal Credit Union
- Schools for Adults
- Schools for Apprenticeship in Industry
- Schools for Fair Funding, Inc.
- Schools for Kolkhoz Youth
- Schools for Peasant Youth