References in classic literature ?
Having fixed upon this, I hired a little bark to Jubo, a place about forty leagues distant from Pate, on board which I put some provisions, together with my sacerdotal vestments, and all that was necessary for saying mass: in this vessel we reached the coast, which we found inhabited by several nations: each nation is subject to its own king; these petty monarchies are so numerous, that I counted at least ten in less than four leagues.
No foresight can anticipate, nor any document of reasonable length contain, express provisions for all possible questions.
The act from Annapolis recommends the "appointment of commissioners to take into consideration the situation of the United States; to devise SUCH FURTHER PROVISIONS as shall appear to them necessary to render the Constitution of the federal government ADEQUATE TO THE EXIGENCIES OF THE UNION; and to report such an act for that purpose, to the United States in Congress assembled, as when agreed to by them, and afterwards confirmed by the legislature of every State, will effectually provide for the same.
Sun Tzu said: In the operations of war, where there are in the field a thousand swift chariots, as many heavy chariots, and a hundred thousand mail-clad soldiers, with provisions enough to carry them a thousand li, the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day.
There was but a small quantity of powder and ball, few tools to build intrenchments with, and a great deficiency of provisions and clothes for the soldiers.
He proceeded along the Columbia, but it was everywhere the same; not an article of provisions was to be obtained from the natives, and he was at length obliged to kill a couple of his horses to sustain his famishing people.
These last were engaged, not merely to kill game for provisions, but also, and indeed chiefly, to trap beaver and other animals of rich furs, valuable in the trade.
All these barges and lighters must be in attendance to form an escort and carry my provisions.
If instead of imagining to ourselves commanders of genius leading the Russian army, we picture that army without any leaders, it could not have done anything but make a return movement toward Moscow, describing an arc in the direction where most provisions were to be found and where the country was richest.
There will be needed provisions, and the delivery drivers are on strike.
A sufficient quantity of chlorate of potassium and of caustic potash was placed at his disposal, together with provisions for eight days.
One time, in my sleep, I had the villainy of the three pirate sailors so lively related to me by the first Spaniard, and Friday's father, that it was surprising: they told me how they barbarously attempted to murder all the Spaniards, and that they set fire to the provisions they had laid up, on purpose to distress and starve them; things that I had never heard of, and that, indeed, were never all of them true in fact: but it was so warm in my imagination, and so realised to me, that, to the hour I saw them, I could not be persuaded but that it was or would be true; also how I resented it, when the Spaniard complained to me; and how I brought them to justice, tried them, and ordered them all three to be hanged.
Each would bring hooks and lines, and such provision as he could steal in the most dark and mysterious way -- as became outlaws.
There is, doubtless, a striking absurdity in supposing that a right of this kind does not exist, but we are reduced to the dilemma either of embracing that supposition, preposterous as it may seem, or of contravening or explaining away a provision, which has been of late a repeated theme of the eulogies of those who oppose the new Constitution; and the want of which, in that plan, has been the subject of much plausible animadversion, and severe criticism.
Not long after they had agreed upon this plan, the Eagle, being in want of provision for her young ones, swooped down while the Fox was out, seized upon one of the little cubs, and feasted herself and her brood.
Thesaurus browser ?
- provincial capital
- proving ground
- Provisional IRA
- Provisional Irish Republican Army
- provitamin A
- provost court
- provost guard
- provost marshal
- prowl car
Full browser ?
- Provisioning Line Item Sequence Number
- Provisioning List Category Code
- Provisioning List Item Sequence Number
- Provisioning Master File
- Provisioning Master Record
- Provisioning Monitoring System
- Provisioning Object Library
- Provisioning Object Manager
- Provisioning On-Line System
- Provisioning On-Site Verification Testing
- Provisioning Parts Breakdown
- Provisioning Parts List
- Provisioning Parts List Index
- Provisioning Performance Schedule
- Provisioning Preparedness Review Conference
- Provisioning Principal Contracting Office
- Provisioning Requirements Schedule/Statement
- Provisioning Review Input Data Evaluation
- Provisioning Schedule Code
- Provisioning Services Technical Committee
- Provisioning Support Request Transaction
- Provisioning System Identifier Code
- Provisioning Technical Data
- Provisioning Technical Documentation
- Provisioning Technical Documentation Data Selection Sheet
- Provisioning Technical Engineer
- Provisioning Technical Service Committee
- Provisioning, Allowance and Fitting Out Support
- Provisioning-Driven Memory Administration
- Provisioning/Program Parts Selection List
- Provisions Available for Small Entities
- Provisions for Bad Debts
- Provisions for Credit Losses
- Provisions for Income Taxes
- provisions of a law
- Provisions of Industrial Facilities
- Provisions of Oxford
- Provisions of Westminster
- Provisions pour Sinistres A Payer
- Provisions Storage Assemblies
- Provisions Supply Office
- Provisions Update Committee
- Provisions, Bad Debt
- Proviso est providere praesentia et futura
- Proviso Leyden Council for Community Action