References in classic literature ?
But is it necessary to suppose that these expressions are absolutely irreconcilable to each other; that no ALTERATIONS or PROVISIONS in the articles of the confederation could possibly mould them into a national and adequate government; into such a government as has been proposed by the convention?
NEW PROVISIONS therein are also expressly authorized.
The recommendatory act of Congress is in the words following: "WHEREAS, There is provision in the articles of Confederation and perpetual Union, for making alterations therein, by the assent of a Congress of the United States, and of the legislatures of the several States; and whereas experience hath evinced, that there are defects in the present Confederation; as a mean to remedy which, several of the States, and PARTICULARLY THE STATE OF NEW YORK, by express instructions to their delegates in Congress, have suggested a convention for the purposes expressed in the following resolution; and such convention appearing to be the most probable mean of establishing in these States A FIRM NATIONAL GOVERNMENT:
After what I have already written, you will understand that the existence of a sound provision, unknown to us, in the Trust, which has been properly carried out by the admiral -- or which can be properly carried out by his representatives -would be necessarily fatal to our hopes.
If any fund could have been selected and appropriated, equal to and not greater than the object, it would have been inadequate to the discharge of the existing debts of the particular States, and would have left them dependent on the Union for a provision for this purpose.
It is scarcely questioned that this provision was intended by those who made it for the reclaiming of what we call fugitive slaves; and the intention of the lawgiver is the law.
To avoid misconstruction of what I have said, I depart from my purpose not to speak of particular amendments so far as to say that, holding such a provision to now be implied Constitutional law, I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable.
He delayed approaching it as long as possible, in order to avoid driving off the buffaloes, which would be needed for winter provisions.
Should any of them succeed in falling in with friendly Indians, within a reasonable distance, and obtaining a supply of provisions and horses, they were to return to the aid of the main body: otherwise they were to shift for themselves, and shape their course according to circumstances; keeping the mouth of the Columbia River as the ultimate point of their wayfaring.
A cache is a term common among traders and hunters, to designate a hiding-place for provisions and effects.
Thus, the provision department, who plundered the clothes-presses and the harness-rooms, attached very little value to things which tailors and saddlers set great store by.
Monseigneur, to provision a fleet, to assemble a flotilla, to enroll your maritime force, would take an admiral a year.
population (based on the 2000 Federal census) modified their sales and use tax provisions and procedures to conform to it.
Though TIPRA became law--following months of deliberation--a number of planned provisions were excluded in order to keep the tax-cut package within the five-year, $70 billion limit in the budget resolution.
Boyle sent a letter to Representative William Thomas, Chairman of the House Ways & Means Committee, and Senator Charles Grassley, Chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, urging that several of the revenue offset provisions in S.
Thesaurus browser ?
- provincial capital
- proving ground
- Provisional IRA
- Provisional Irish Republican Army
- provitamin A
- provost court
- provost guard
- provost marshal
- prowl car
Full browser ?
- Provisioning Line Item Sequence Number
- Provisioning List Category Code
- Provisioning List Item Sequence Number
- Provisioning Master File
- Provisioning Master Record
- Provisioning Monitoring System
- Provisioning Object Library
- Provisioning Object Manager
- Provisioning On-Line System
- Provisioning On-Site Verification Testing
- Provisioning Parts Breakdown
- Provisioning Parts List
- Provisioning Parts List Index
- Provisioning Performance Schedule
- Provisioning Preparedness Review Conference
- Provisioning Principal Contracting Office
- Provisioning Requirements Schedule/Statement
- Provisioning Review Input Data Evaluation
- Provisioning Schedule Code
- Provisioning Services Technical Committee
- Provisioning Support Request Transaction
- Provisioning System Identifier Code
- Provisioning Technical Data
- Provisioning Technical Documentation
- Provisioning Technical Documentation Data Selection Sheet
- Provisioning Technical Engineer
- Provisioning Technical Service Committee
- Provisioning, Allowance and Fitting Out Support
- Provisioning-Driven Memory Administration
- Provisioning/Program Parts Selection List
- Provisions Available for Small Entities
- Provisions for Bad Debts
- Provisions for Credit Losses
- Provisions for Income Taxes
- provisions of a law
- Provisions of Industrial Facilities
- Provisions of Oxford
- Provisions of Westminster
- Provisions pour Sinistres A Payer
- Provisions Storage Assemblies
- Provisions Supply Office
- Provisions Update Committee
- Provisions, Bad Debt
- Proviso est providere praesentia et futura
- Proviso Leyden Council for Community Action