References in classic literature ?
The greatness of an estate, in bulk and territory, doth fall under measure; and the greatness of finances and revenue, doth fall under computation.
This is the Court of Chancery, which has its decaying houses and its blighted lands in every shire, which has its worn-out lunatic in every madhouse and its dead in every churchyard, which has its ruined suitor with his slipshod heels and threadbare dress borrowing and begging through the round of every man's acquaintance, which gives to monied might the means abundantly of wearying out the right, which so exhausts finances, patience, courage, hope, so overthrows the brain and breaks the heart, that there is not an honourable man among its practitioners who would not give--who does not often give--the warning, "Suffer any wrong that can be done you rather than come here
I mean by the powers of a magistrate, what should be his particular province, as the management of the finances or the laws of the state; for different magistrates have different powers, as that of the general of the army differs from the clerk of the market.
As far as I can see, Italy, for fifteen hundred years, has turned all her energies, all her finances, and all her industry to the building up of a vast array of wonderful church edifices, and starving half her citizens to accomplish it.
I am at the end of my finances," pursued the doctor; and it would really be a pity that the house should not have a roof; not on account of the house, which is simple and thoroughly bourgeois, but because of the paintings of Jehan Fourbault, which adorn its wainscoating.
said Philip, with a smile, for he knew exactly how his master's finances stood.
Fouquet's debts, and restored the finances to a sound condition, M.
On this occasion, he was only more vividly conscious of the fact that if his affairs had not been in disorder, no better wife for Nicholas than Sonya could have been wished for, and that no one but himself with his Mitenka and his uncomfortable habits was to blame for the condition of the family finances.
The ministry of the interior ought in like manner to combine the departments of commerce, police, and finances, or it belied its own name.
I suppose now, you'd never dream of looking into the state of your husband's finances, or troubling your head about settlements, or anything of that sort?
On the second and third days there was business relating to the finances of the nobility and the female high school, of no importance whatever, as Sergey Ivanovitch explained, and Levin, busy seeing after his own affairs, did not attend the meetings.
I've known you four months, and I know men who know you; but I've never heard a word about your finances.
My father was a clerk in the Ministry of Finances with no position at all.
The little man accompanied these latter words with a wink, expressive of the estimate he had formed of the travellers' finances.
The powers relating to war and peace, armies and fleets, treaties and finance, with the other more considerable powers, are all vested in the existing Congress by the articles of Confederation.
Thesaurus browser ?
- final cause
- final cut
- final decision
- final exam
- final examination
- final injunction
- final judgment
- final payment
- final period
- final result
- final solution
- final stage
- finance committee
- finance company
- finance minister
- financial aid
- financial analyst
- financial audit
- financial backing
- financial center
- financial condition
- Financial Crimes Enforcement Network
- financial forecast
- financial gain
- financial institution
- financial loss
- Financial Management Service
- financial obligation
- financial officer
- financial organisation
- financial organization
- financial statement
- financial support
- financial year
- finback whale
Full browser ?
- Finance, Insurance, Real Estate and Services
- Finance, Operations, Human Resources
- Finance, Operations, Sales, and Human Resources
- Finance, Personnel, Benefits Committee
- Finance, Private Sector and Infrastructure
- Finance, Technology, and Administration Branch
- Finance/Administration Section Chief
- Financed Amount
- Financed Amounts
- Financed car and got into accident
- Financed Employee Agent
- Financed Single Premium Mortgage Insurance
- Financement Agricole Canada
- FinanceNet Technical Working Group
- Finances of Socialist Enterprises and Sectors of the National Economy
- Financiadora de Estudos e Projetos
- Financial & Corporate Relations
- Financial & Insurance Conference Planners
- Financial & Investment Advisers
- Financial Abuse Specialist Team
- Financial account
- Financial account
- Financial account
- Financial Account Standards Board
- Financial Accountability Review and Action Plan
- Financial Accountability System Resource Guide
- Financial accountancy
- Financial accounting
- Financial Accounting & Control System
- Financial Accounting & Controlling Module
- Financial Accounting & Cost Tracking System
- Financial Accounting & Reporting
- Financial Accounting 3
- Financial Accounting and Budgeting System
- Financial Accounting and Comprehensive Expenditure Tracking System
- Financial Accounting and Contractual Status
- Financial Accounting and Inventory Record
- Financial Accounting and Management Information System
- Financial Accounting and Reporting Manual for Higher Education