References in periodicals archive ?
Once again, it is important to look at that problem bearing in mind that the approach offered here is empiricist.
EMPIRICIST METHOD OF SCIENTIFIC ENQUIRY AND EXPLANATION: GENERAL STRATEGY AND FOUNDATIONS OF KNOWLEDGE CLAIMS
Sir Karl Popper (1902-1994), an Austrian by birth, was intimately aware of the logical empiricist movement from its inception.
In Chapter One, "'3 or 4 Families in a Country Village,' or Naturalists, Novelists, Empiricists, and Serendipidists," Graham defines his terms and lays out the writers' similarities of background, adult life styles, qualities of mind, and views of the world, as well as their similar desire to draw macroscopic conclusions from detailed study of microcosms, i.
Understandably* however, Watson is a product of a Western empiricist superstructure that, historically, lost confidence in religion--and unfortunately the spiritual too--and threw both away as useless.
5) The similarities between Tennyson's account of the mind and the later theories of physiological psychologists such as Spencer are partly attributable to the fact that, through the books in his father's library, the young Tennyson had access to many fields of enquiry (such as physiology, empiricist philosophy, and associationist psychology) that were subsequently influential in the development of theories of embodied psychology in the second half of the nineteenth century.
Thus while model formulation may seem an attractive skill for an empiricist, it is knowledge of statistical methods that will likely provide more value within the empirical knowledge community.
While the empiricist will, through the accumulation of individual experiences, develop operational competence in virtue of remembering which measures have been successful in past cases, he will fall short of truly technical expertise.
Thirty-eight papers, some classics and some more recent work, are grouped into nine sections--our logical empiricist heritage; the logical foundations of belief revision; the criteria of theory choice; realism and the character of scientific theories; scientific explanations and laws of nature; natural kinds and the special kinds of special sciences; singular causation; probabilistic causation, causal laws, and chances; and metaphysical implications of modern physics.
His work encompasses the full palette of theorist, empiricist and policy advisor to governments and international organisations around the world (WTO, UNCTAD, OECD and the World Bank).
Ever the empiricist, Florida and his associates have constructed an index that includes ability to attract university students and share of workers in creative occupations.
He revels in the "unfair" advantage the empiricist inevitably enjoys over the theologian, who has to construct stuttering, after-the-fact explanations of the noumenal world, as William James (another of Dennett's Unglaubensgensossen) says in The Varieties of Religious Experience: "So we have the strange phenomenon, as Kant assures us, of a mind believing with all its strength in the real presence of things of no one of which it can form any notion whatsoever.
But James Lindgren, a leading empiricist at my own law school, found that some of his key statistical claims appeared to be based on fabricated evidence.
THE CULTURE WARS HAVE, at their root, a conflict between two drastically different ways of understanding reality: one essentially empiricist, the other decidedly not.
Course leader Mick Grant said: "The main aim was to visit the place where empiricist philosopher George Berkeley lived and worked.
Thesaurus browser ?
- emperor penguin
- emphysematous gangrene
- emphysematous phlegmon
- Empire day
- Empire State
- Empire State Building
- Empire State of the South
- empirical formula
- empirical research
- empiricist philosophy
- employee ownership
- employee savings plan
- employee stock ownership plan
- employee turnover
- employee-owned business
- employee-owned enterprise
- employment agency
- employment agent
- employment agreement
- employment contract
- employment interview
- employment office
Full browser ?
- Empirical treatment
- Empirical Wool Environment
- Empirically Based Physician Staffing Model
- Empirically Lossless Switch
- Empirically Lossless Switch Architecture
- Empirically Successful Automated Reasoning
- Empirically Successful Automated Reasoning for Mathematics
- Empirically Successful Automated Reasoning in Large Theories
- Empirically Successful Classical Automated Reasoning
- Empirically Successful Computerized Reasoning
- empiricist philosophy
- Empiristic Theory of Visual Gestalt Perception