References in classic literature ?
A woman's tears do not make one wet, but the rain does; and her coldness does not lay the foundations of asthma and rheumatism, as the east wind is apt to.
The vilest breeze that blows--a hot east wind in London--was the breeze abroad on that day.
Davis had evidently taken his coffee too strong that morning, there was an east wind, which always affected his neuralgia, and his pupils had not done him the credit which he felt he deserved.
But when Anne went to bed Sunday night the east wind was moaning around Green Gables with an ominous prophecy which was fulfilled in the morning.
You remember the sharp east wind that blew so hard five weeks ago?
A bitter sleet came rattling against us here on the east wind, and Joe took me on his back.
Reflects Twemlow; grey, dry, polite, susceptible to east wind, First-Gentleman-in-Europe collar and cravat, cheeks drawn in as if he had made a great effort to retire into himself some years ago, and had got so far and had never got any farther.
I have my alarms, but they are quite in a different quarter; and if I could have altered the weather, you would have had a good sharp east wind blowing on you the whole time--for here are some of my plants which Robert will leave out because the nights are so mild, and I know the end of it will be, that we shall have a sudden change of weather, a hard frost setting in all at once, taking everybody (at least Robert) by surprise, and I shall lose every one; and what is worse, cook has just been telling me that the turkey, which I particularly wished not to be dressed till Sunday, because I know how much more Dr.
We might as wisely reprove the east wind or the frost, as a political party, whose members, for the most part, could give no account of their position, but stand for the defence of those interests in which they find themselves.
The man was necessary," pursued my guardian, walking backward and forward in the very short space between the piano and the end of the room and rubbing his hair up from the back of his head as if a high east wind had blown it into that form.
It is no matter that the place is joyless for him; that he is weary of the old wooden houses, the mud and dust, the dead level of site and sentiment, the chill east wind, and the chillest of social atmospheres; -- all these, and whatever faults besides he may see or imagine, are nothing to the purpose.
With a brief sketch, therefore, of the circumstances amid which the foundation of the house was laid, and a rapid glimpse at its quaint exterior, as it grew black in the prevalent east wind,--pointing, too, here and there, at some spot of more verdant mossiness on its roof and walls,--we shall commence the real action of our tale at an epoch not very remote from the present day.
How many winter days have I seen him, standing blue-nosed, in the snow and east wind, looking at the boys going down the long slide, and clapping his worsted gloves in rapture!
But we have all a chance of meeting with some pity, some tenderness, some charity, when we are dead: it is the living only who cannot be forgiven--the living only from whom men's indulgence and reverence are held off, like the rain by the hard east wind.
To sweep a slushy crossing for eight hours, on a day when the east wind is blowing is a disgusting occupation.
Thesaurus browser ?
- East Germany
- East India
- East India Company
- East India kino
- East India rosewood
- East Indian
- East Indian fig tree
- East Indian rosebay
- East Indian rosewood
- East Indies
- East Malaysia
- East Midland
- east northeast
- East Pakistan
- East Pakistani
- East River
- East Saint Louis
- East Sea
- east side
- east southeast
- East Sussex
- East Timor
- East Tocharian
- East Turkestan Islamic Movement
- East Turkistan Islamic Movement
- east wind
- Easter cactus
- Easter card
- Easter daisy
- Easter Day
- Easter egg
- Easter lily
- Easter lily vine
- Easter Sunday
- Eastern Catholicism
- eastern chimpanzee
- eastern chinquapin
- eastern chipmunk
- Eastern Church
- eastern coral snake
- eastern cottontail
- Eastern cottonwood
- eastern cricket frog
- eastern dasyure
- Eastern Desert
- eastern fence lizard
Full browser ?
- East West Electronic Trade Centre, Ltd.
- East West Helicopter Inc.
- East West home is best
- East West home's best
- East West Infiniti Pvt Ltd
- East West Institute of Technology
- East West Journal
- East West Labels
- East West Line
- East West Management Institute
- East West Network Europe
- East West Partners Club Management
- East West Players
- East West Property Development
- East West Qigong International
- East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra
- East West Research Institute
- East West School of International Studies
- East West Securities Co.
- East West Sports Summit
- East West Technical Services LLC
- East Whittier Friends Church
- East Whittier Presbyterian Church
- East Wicker Park Organization
- East Williamsburg Industrial Park
- East Williamson County Higher Education Center
- East Williston Fire Department
- East Williston Little League
- East Williston Public Library
- East Wiltshire School
- east wind
- east window
- East Winds Symphonic Band
- East Windsor Ambulance Association
- East Windsor High School
- East Windsor Junior High School
- East Winston Branch Library
- East Works Entertainment, Inc
- East Yakima Early Learning Initiative
- East Yorba Linda Little League
- East York Collegiate Institute
- East York Concert Band
- East York Health Unit
- East York Learning Experience
- East York/East Toronto
- East Yorkshire College
- East Yorkshire Cricket Development Group
- East Yorkshire Family History Society
- East Yorkshire Fungus Group
- East Yorkshire Glass
- East Yorkshire Learning Disability Institute
- East Yorkshire Long Distance Walkers Association
- East Yorkshire Motor Services
- East Yorkshire Record Office
- East Yorkshire Riding Club
- East Yorkshire, England
- East Yorkshire, England
- East, Central, and Southern African College of Nursing
- East, Edward Murray
- East, west, home's best
- East-Asian Associaiton for Science Education