DEATH CAP MUSHROOMGREENISH death caps look similar to edible varieties but are for 95% all MUSHROOM fatalities.
A MUM of four died after accidentally using toxic death cap mushrooms to add flavour to her soup, an inquest heard yesterday.
Death caps contain 20 different poisons and are responsible for 90% of all mushroom deaths.
In 2008, one woman died and another was seriously ill after eating toxic death cap mushrooms on a trip to Ventnor Botanic Gardens on the Isle of Wight.
But what you really have to be careful about is the death cap
mushroom (Amanita phalloides, called a Gruner Knollenblatterpilz in German), or the fly agaric (Amanita muscaria, or German roter Fliegenpilz) which are truly deadly.
Unfortunately, it's not difficult to find a death cap.
Russo said one of the main problems with the death cap is the mushroom's delayed effect once it's eaten.
Christine Hale, 57, suffered multiple organ failure thought to have been caused by the death cap
Isle of Wight council, which shut Ventnor botanic gardens yesterday, said: "The death cap
is not cultivated there but is believed to have been growing wild.
Amphon Tuckey, 39, cooked the death cap
fungi after niece Kannika picked them by mistake at a botanical garden, an inquest learnt yesterday.
It said the death cap
was not cultivated and is believed to have been growing wild.