References in periodicals archive ?
Mara Kozelsky's Christianizing Crimea explores the process by which Russian Orthodoxy claimed Crimea as Christian territory in the nineteenth century.
Industry," he wrote in Christianizing the Social Order,
Thus, Charlotte Goddard has emphasized the orthodoxy of the Neapolitan poets in their Christianizing adaptations of De rerum natura, while Alison Brown, surveying the Florentine fortunes of Lucretius from Bartolomeo Scala beginning in the 1460s to Machiavelli in the 1520s, shows how the text served an anti-idealizing view of human nature: grounded in Lucretius's account of the primitive origins of mankind and his kinship with animals, itself deployed as an revolutionary alternative to Medicean myths of the Golden Age.
Seminary graduates were accused of Christianizing Muslim communities.
Nevertheless, I think that this example is helpful for demonstrating how the Reformation idea of a Christianizing transformation of society works.
The three papers in `Church and society' focus on the Christianizing of Ireland, Europe, and the Church in Anglo-Saxon Britain.
She suggested that the ROTC presence, instead of Christianizing the military, actually "militarizes a Christian campus.
Another example of the church's talent for Christianizing non-Christian symbols was the popular Egyptian goddess Isis.
With regard to Africa, that invention has been colored by the need to rationalize and charter Europeans' destruction of civilizations, their enslavement and subjugation of African peoples, and the expropriation of their resources -- all in the name of humanizing, christianizing, and "civilizing" the African.
College London) focuses on the Spanish influence in Christianizing the Maya, because they were responsible for the ruined churches she excavated at Lamanai and Tipu, but keeps in mind that after the initial conquest, the native population would be exposed to all kinds of Europeans in the colonial milieu.
Christianizing Crimea offers a fascinating historical perspective on the various forces that helped transform Crimea from a mostly Muslim Tatar land into one of the holy places of Christian pilgrimage within nineteenth-century Russia, as well as into a special case study of Christian renewal in the post-Soviet era.
Adapting the faith to modernity results, not in Christianizing the latter, but in de-Christianizing the former.
Thesaurus browser ?
- Christiaan Huygens
- Christian Bible
- Christian church
- Christian Dior
- Christian era
- Christian Friedrich Hebbel
- Christian Friedrich Schonbein
- Christian holy day
- Christian Huygens
- Christian Johann Doppler
- Christian liturgy
- Christian name
- Christian religion
- Christian Schonbein
- Christian Science
- Christian Scientist
- Christian theology
- Christian year
- Christine Marie Evert
- Christmas begonia
- Christmas bells
- Christmas berry
- Christmas box
- Christmas bush
- Christmas cactus
- Christmas cake
- Christmas card
- Christmas carol
- Christmas Day
- Christmas disease
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas factor
- Christmas fern
- Christmas flower
- Christmas gift
- Christmas green
- Christmas holly
Full browser ?
- Christianity Revealed
- Christianity Today
- Christianity Today International
- Christianity, Calendar of
- Christianity, Development of
- Christianity, Early
- Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality
- Christianity: Bogus Beyond Belief
- Christianization of Rus
- Christians Against Proselytizing Among Israel
- Christians Against Sinful Actions
- Christians Associated for Relationships with Eastern Europe
- Christians Encouraging Others
- Christians for Environmental Stewardship
- Christians for Justice Action
- Christians In Action
- Christians In Action Ministries
- Christians in Action University Church
- Christians in Parliament
- Christians in Recovery, Inc.
- Christians in Science
- Christians in Sport
- Christians in the Visual Arts
- Christians Involved Together with Youth, Inc.
- Christians Learning Across Yorkshire
- Christians Obediently Preaching Salvation
- Christians of Saint John
- Christians Pray the Rosary
- Christians Pumped and Ready
- Christians Reaching Out Spreading Spirituality