References in classic literature ?
Still, society associated my name and person with hers; I yet saw her and heard her daily: something of her breath (faugh
Her eyebrows and eyelashes were just a shade darker than her hair, and seemed made expressly for those violet-blue eyes, which assert their most irresistible charm when associated with a fair complexion.
The Squire had been used to parish homage all his life, used to the presupposition that his family, his tankards, and everything that was his, were the oldest and best; and as he never associated with any gentry higher than himself, his opinion was not disturbed by comparison.
Faults in the abstract are each and all so uninviting, not to say alarming, but, associated with certain eyes and hair and tender little gowns, it is curious how they lose their terrors; and, as with vice in the poet's image, we end by embracing what we began by dreading.
The touch probably associated, as is usual, with some of the apprehensions excited by his dream; for the old man started up, his grey hair standing almost erect upon his head, and huddling some part of his garments about him, while he held the detached pieces with the tenacious grasp of a falcon, he fixed upon the Palmer his keen black eyes, expressive of wild surprise and of bodily apprehension.
Thus, though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays.
It is not impossible that this conceit occurred to Hawthorne before he had himself seen the Old Man of the Mountain, or the Profile, in the Franconia Notch which is generally associated in the minds of readers with The Great Stone Face.
Shortly after Captain Bonneville's ineffectual attempt to participate in the trade of the associated camp, the supplies of the Hudson's Bay Company arrived; and the resident trader was enabled to monopolize the market.
Manson Mingott had died when she was only twenty-eight, and had "tied up" the money with an additional caution born of the general distrust of the Spicers; but his bold young widow went her way fearlessly, mingled freely in foreign society, married her daughters in heaven knew what corrupt and fashionable circles, hobnobbed with Dukes and Ambassadors, associated familiarly with Papists, entertained Opera singers, and was the intimate friend of Mme.
Under their auspices, Lieutenant (now Captain) Speke has associated with him Captain Grant, of the army in India; they have put themselves at the head of a numerous and well-equipped expedition; their mission is to ascend the lake and return to Gondokoro; they have received a subsidy of more than five thousand pounds, and the Governor of the Cape of Good Hope has placed Hottentot soldiers at their disposal; they set out from Zanzibar at the close of October, 1860.
Dolokhov, who had reappeared that year in Moscow after his exile and his Persian adventures, and was leading a life of luxury, gambling, and dissipation, associated with his old Petersburg comrade Kuragin and made use of him for his own ends.
Lydgate had always been associated for her with that of Will Ladislaw.
It was written at Paris, when I had Charles Dickens for a near neighbor and a daily companion, and when my leisure hours were joyously passed with many other friends, all associated with literature and art, of whom the admirable comedian, Regnier, is now the only survivor.
If the slightest hint reached him of her having been associated, no matter how cruelly and unjustly, with a suspicion of theft, the marriage would be broken off, and the result to herself and to everybody connected with her, would be disgrace for the rest of our lives.
They entreated Jupiter that they might no longer be associated with the Ills, as they had nothing in common and could not live together, but were engaged in unceasing warfare; and that an indissoluble law might be laid down for their future protection.
Thesaurus browser ?
- assistant foreman
- assistant professor
- assisted suicide
- associate degree
- Associate in Applied Science
- Associate in Arts
- Associate in Nursing
- associate professor
- associated state
- association area
- association cortex
- association football
- Association for the Advancement of Retired Persons
- Association of Islamic Groups and Communities
- Association of Orangemen
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations
- association theory
- associative aphasia
- assortative mating
Full browser ?
- associate's degree
- associate's degree
- Associate's degrees
- Associate, Annuity Products and Administration
- Associate, British College of Accordionists
- Associate, British College of Music
- Associate, Central Academy of Music
- Associate, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Associate, Chartered Management Institute
- Associate, Curwen College of Music
- Associate, Customer Service
- Associate, Examining Board for Music
- Associate, Faculty of Church Music
- Associate, Faculty of Occupational Medicine
- Associate, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine
- Associate, Financial Services Institute
- Associate, Guildhall School of Music
- Associate, Indian Institute of Architects
- Associate, Institute for Independent Business
- Associate, Institute of Management Consultancy
- Associate, Insurance Regulatory Compliance
- Associate, Life & Health Claims
- Associate, London School of Music
- Associate, London Society for Musicological Research
- Associate, North and Midlands School of Music
- Associate, Norwich School of Church Music
- Associate, Royal College of Organists
- Associate, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Associate, Securities Institute of Australia
- Associated Acceptable Quality Level
- Associated Accounting Firms International
- Associated Actors and Artistes of America
- Associated Actors and Technicians
- Associated African States and Madagascar
- Associated Air Balance Council
- Associated Aircraft Manufacturing and Sales Inc.
- Associated Alumnae and Alumni of the Sacred Heart
- Associated Alumni of Acadia University
- Associated Anesthesiologists Medical Group
- associated antagonist
- associated antagonists
- associated architect
- Associated Area of Concern
- Associated Artists of Middle Eastern Dance Inc.
- Associated Artists of Winston-Salem
- Associated Arts of Ocean Shores
- associated automatic movement
- Associated Automobile Workers of America
- Associated Aviation Underwriters
- Associated Banks of Europe Corporation
- Associated Baptist Press
- Associated Beer Distributors of Illinois
- Associated Bible Students of Central Ohio
- Associated Bio-Engineers & Consultants, Inc.
- Associated Board of Dance
- Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music
- Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals
- Associated Branch Pilots
- Associated British Cinemas