abnormality

(redirected from abnormalities)
Also found in: Dictionary, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to abnormalities: Congenital abnormalities
Graphic Thesaurus  🔍
Display ON
Animation ON
Legend
Synonym
Antonym
Related
  • noun

Synonyms for abnormality

Synonyms for abnormality

Synonyms for abnormality

an abnormal physical condition resulting from defective genes or developmental deficiencies

retardation sufficient to fall outside the normal range of intelligence

marked strangeness as a consequence of being abnormal

behavior that breaches the rule or etiquette or custom or morality

References in periodicals archive ?
In fact, cardiac abnormalities are far more common in newborn babies than Down's syndrome, which occurs in about one in 1,000.
If they wish to avoid the risk of claims for missed structural abnormalities, they can either decline to accept the risk or make their product unaffordable--risk avoidance.
The most important finding of our study was that cortical abnormalities that occur in patients with migraine are a result of the balance between an intrinsic predisposition, as suggested by cortical surface area modification, and disease-related processes, as indicated by cortical thickness abnormalities," Dr.
A total of 506 subjects (23%) showed major and 276 (13%) showed minor ECG abnormalities at baseline, for an overall incidence of 36%.
This book provides clearly understandable parameters for the grading of several blood cell abnormalities and also serves as a review of blood cell morphology.
Invoice abnormalities can be determined by cross-matching vendors with the approved vendor list; verifying company authenticity through the Internet and credit and rating bureaus; comparing questioned records with known legitimate company invoices, searching for abnormalities in fonts, logos, background and other detailed invoice information; and detecting invoices without quantity and per-item pricing or that do not foot.
Due to the especially high incidences of frog abnormalities reported in Minnesota and Vermont, the Service's Northeast and Midwest Regions began assessments in 1997 to document the extent of abnormal frogs on national wildlife refuges.
Both major abnormalities and minor anomalies were significantly more prevalent in the paediatric cancer group.
Postmenopausal women who take hormones combining estrogen and progestin have cellular abnormalities detected in the cervix more frequently than nonusers of hormone therapy do, but the risk of precancerous lesions and cervical cancer does not differ between users and nonusers, according to a report based on six years of data from the Women's Health Initiative.
Even autopsies have failed to reveal abnormalities associated with SIDS.
1) Abnormalities derived from the third and fourth arches are quite uncommon--each less than 5% of the total.
Researchers from the University of Washington in Seattle wanted to see how many genetic abnormalities were missed by commercial genetic testing in families that were at high risk for breast and ovarian cancer.
This case highlights that histopathologic abnormalities of the lung parenchyma may be present in patients with only mild symptoms and that clinical progression is likely a function of both the duration and intensity of exposure.
Brief Description of Experiment: Fifty-five long-term solvent abusers took a series of cognitive tests and 50 of them underwent brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), an imaging technique that can detect abnormalities in the brain.
The syndrome results from a "short arm" on chromosome 22 in region 11, and is associated both with velocardiofacial abnormalities and with DiGeorge syndrome, explained Dr.