References in classic literature ?
A frugal mind cannot defend itself from considerable bitterness when reflecting that at the Battle of Actium (which was fought for no less a stake than the dominion of the world) the fleet of Octavianus Caesar and the fleet of Antonius, including the Egyptian division and Cleopatra's galley with purple sails, probably cost less than two modern battleships, or, as the modern naval book-jargon has it, two capital units.
It was the commander of a Chinese man-of-war who received a copy of the edict of 1972 from the hand of my illustrious ancestor, Admiral Turck, on one hundred seventy-five, two hundred and six years ago, and from the yellowed pages of the admiral's diary I learned that the fate of the Philippines was even then presaged by these Chinese naval officers.
In the narrative I purpose telling my story in a less formal, and I hope, a more entertaining, style; though, being only a naval officer and without claim to the slightest literary ability, I shall most certainly fall far short of the possibilities which are inherent in my subject.
Only Count Rostov was pleased with them as he had been pleased with those of the naval officer, the senator, and in general with whatever speech he had last heard.
was/ a naval officer, a lieutenant of thirty-one, who, after seventeen years' service, had been turned out of her Majesty's employ with the barren honour of a commander's rank, because it was impossible that he should be promoted.
Looking round I saw the naval officer whom I had noticed when the passengers came aboard.
The commander of the naval forces of Helium promised to arrange to have the armies of Helium attack from the city in conjunction with our land attack, and so the vessels separated and Dejah Thoris was borne in triumph back to the court of her grandfather, Tardos Mors, Jeddak of Helium.
Memorial of the Northwest Company- Tidings of a British Naval Expedition Against Astoria.
This peace will be turning all our rich naval officers ashore.
It seemed as if Mr Shepherd, in this anxiety to bespeak Sir Walter's good will towards a naval officer as tenant, had been gifted with foresight; for the very first application for the house was from an Admiral Croft, with whom he shortly afterwards fell into company in attending the quarter sessions at Taunton; and indeed, he had received a hint of the Admiral from a London correspondent.
So it came about that he was probably the last person on board to hear the news that wireless telegraphy was bringing to the airship in throbs and fragments of a great naval battle in progress in mid-Atlantic.
In a word, this favored port combines advantages which not only fit it for a grand naval depot, but almost render it capable of being made the dominant military post of these seas.
Some minutes later a fourfold telegram was sent out--the first to the Naval Secretary at Washington; the second to the vice-president of the Gun Club, Baltimore; the third to the Hon.
But it is evident that this was not Solon's intention, but that it arose from accident; for the people being the cause of the naval victory over the Medes, assumed greatly upon it, and enlisted themselves under factious demagogues, although opposed by the better part of the citizens.
The old were for the most part either in old uniforms of the nobility, buttoned up closely, with spurs and hats, or in their own special naval, cavalry, infantry, or official uniforms.
Thesaurus browser ?
- naval attache
- naval battle
- naval blockade
- naval brass
- naval campaign
- naval chart
- naval commander
- naval division
- naval engineer
- naval engineering
- naval equipment
- naval forces
- naval gun
- naval installation
- naval missile
- naval officer
- naval radar
- Naval Research Laboratory
- naval shipyard
- Naval Special Warfare
- Naval Surface Warfare Center
- naval tactical data system
- Naval Underwater Warfare Center
- naval unit
- naval weaponry
- navel orange
- navel point
- navigation light
- navigational chart
- navigational instrument
- navigational system
- navy base
- navy bean
- navy blue
- Navy Cross
Full browser ?
- Naval Weapons Station Charleston
- Naval Weapons Station Concord
- Naval Weapons Station Earle
- Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach
- Naval Weapons Station Yorktown
- Naval Weapons Support Activity
- Naval Weapons Support Center
- Naval Weapons Systems Analysis Office
- Naval Weapons Systems Training Facility
- Naval Weapons Technician
- Naval Weapons Test Station
- Naval Weather Research Facility
- Naval Weather Service Association
- Naval Weather Service Command
- Naval Weather Service Environmental Detachment
- Naval Weather Service Facility
- Naval Weather Service Office
- Naval Weather Service System
- Naval Weather Station/Service
- Naval Western Oceanography Center
- Naval Wives Welfare Association
- Naval Worldwide Command & Control System
- Navalar Nedunchezhiyan College of Engineering
- Navalny, Alexei Anatolyevich
- Navan Educate Together National School
- Navana Real Estate, Ltd.
- Navanitlal Ranchhodlal Institute of Business Management
- Navarasam Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Navarino, battle of
- Navarino, battle of
- Navarino, Battle of 1827
- Navarino, Greece