References in periodicals archive ?
Degrees of allegiance; harassment and loyalty in Missouri's German-American community during World War I.
27, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Auditor General Jack Wagner will be named Pennsylvania's German-American Man of the Year at the German-American National Congress Convention Saturday night at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Fort Couch Road in suburban Bethel Park.
The German-American National Congress is the United States only national organization celebrating Germanic heritage and culture.
Essentially sociological in its content, Kazal's work does not speculate on what American culture lost with the depreciation and disappearance of German-American ethnicity.
He spares us from the saccharine extolling of family loyalty, dedication to hard work, and a litany of German-Americans successful in the great American game of capitalism.
But, Kilar deftly charts the tension between the beer drinking, brewery, and beer garden owning German-Americans and a Republican Party at the forefront of the movements for Prohibition and Women's Suffrage (for which the first great initiative was Prohibition).
But Congress would not approve comparable legislation to investigate wartime violations of the civil liberties of German-Americans.
According to Lars Halter, General Chairman, "The Steuben Parade Committee is proud to have Hessen as our Official Guest StateOa beautiful place in the heart of Germany that plays a special role in German-American relations.
To San Fernando Valley German-Americans, Eberhard has been more than an advocate.
Today, the North Hills resident is celebrated as one of the leading advocates for German-American relations - and all things German.
As a founder of the Tricentennial Foundation to commemorate 300 years of German contributions to American life, he convinced then-President Reagan to build a German-American Friendship Garden and enact Oct.
Licht neatly distinguishes patterns within this shift along ethnic/race lines and between young men and women, arguing compellingly for a strong anti-schooling sensibility among German-Americans and for a persistent racism in the labor market, despite African-Americans' devotion to maximizing use of educational opportunities.
The program, known as the "Rueckwanderer Program" (a "rueckwanderer" being someone who has left, but who may return), allowed German-Americans potentially interested in returning to Germany to exchange U.
After the United States entered World War II in Europe against Germany, most, if not all, German-Americans experienced the wrath of misdirected and twisted hatred - a knee-jerk reaction without thought or reason generated out of fear and the need to proactively respond and protect.
The judge was dismissed from the trial after stating that the hearts of German-Americans are ``reeking with disloyalty.
Thesaurus browser ?
- German American
- German bee
- German capital
- German chamomile
- German cockroach
- German Democratic Republic
- German iris
- German ivy
- German language
- German lesson
- German Luftwaffe
- German mark
- German measles
- German millet
- German monetary unit
- German Nazi
- german pancake
- German police dog
- German rampion
- German shepherd
- German shepherd dog
- German short-haired pointer
- German silver
- German tamarisk
- germander speedwell
- Germanic language
- germinal area
- germinal disc
Full browser ?
- German, Iurii Pavlovich
- German, Ivan
- German, Ivan Filippovich
- German, Karl
- German, Karl Fedorovich
- German, Russian and East Asian Languages
- German, standard
- German, standard
- German, standard
- German-American Academic Council Foundation
- German-American and German-Canadian Studies
- German-American Business Council
- German-American Business Network
- German-American Center for Visiting Scholars
- German-American Chamber of Commerce
- German-American Day
- German-American Firefighters Association
- German-American Frontiers of Chemistry
- German-American Frontiers of Engineering
- German-American Frontiers of Humanities
- German-American Frontiers of Science
- German-American Heritage Foundation International
- German-American International School
- German-American Joint Action Committee
- German-American Musicians Association
- German-American Society of Tulsa
- German-American Volksfest
- German-American Women's Club
- German-American Writers Association
- German-Austrian Business Council of South Australia
- German-Austrian Folk Dance Association
- German-Bohemian Heritage Society
- German-Canadian Yearbook
- German-Danish War of 1848–50
- German-Danish War of 1863–64
- German-Endocrine Brain Immune Network
- German-Hardcopy AG
- German-Indian Round Table
- German-Italian Treaty of 1939
- German-Japanese Pact
- German-Jordanian University
- German-North American Resources Partnership
- German-North Cyprus Touristic Cooperation
- German-Polish Youth Office
- German-Spanish Astronomical Center
- German-Texan Heritage Society
- German-type amyloid neuropathy
- Germana Esperanta Fervojista Asocio
- Germana Esperanto Junularo
- Germandat Obrera d'Acció Catòlica