(redirected from Flavan-3-ols)
Also found in: Dictionary, Medical.
Graphic Thesaurus  🔍
Display ON
Animation ON
  • noun

Words related to catechin

a tannic acid that is extracted from black catechu as a white crystalline substance

Related Words

References in periodicals archive ?
Compared to values obtained using conventional extraction techniques, 41% of monomeric anthocyanins and 27% of total flavan-3-ols were extracted in dried samples under optimal conditions, while 68% of monomeric anthocyanins and 58% of total flavan-3-ols were extracted in crude samples that were not dried.
flavan-3-ols, anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins by modifications and reacting with other compounds.
Flavan-3-ols can also form oligomeric and copolymeric compounds with a high degree of polymerization to make proanthocyandins (PACs).
Researchers examined the relationship of the six main subclasses of flavonoids commonly consumed in the American diet-flavanones, anthocyanins, flavan-3-ols, flavonoid polymers, flavonols, and flavones--to the risk of ischemic, hemorrhagic, and total stroke.
Polyphenols in grape seeds are mainly flavanoids, including gallic acid, the monometric flavan-3-ols catachin, epicatechin, gallocatechin, epigallocatechin, and epicatechin 3-O-gallate, and procyanidin dimmers, trimers and more highly-polymerized procyanidins.
When the flavonoids were broken down into specific types, the significant reduction in breast cancer risk applied to flavones, flavan-3-ols, and lignans only; not to flavanones, isoflavones, or anthocyanadins.
Cocoa contains certain chemicals called flavan-3-ols, which have previously been linked to lower blood pressure and improved function of cells that line blood vessels.
Cocoa and its derived products contain a diverse mixture of flavonoids, such as anthocyanins, flavonols (quercetin and its glycosides), and flavan-3-ols (epicatechin, catechin, and related procyanidin oligomers) (17).
Chocolate Researchers have found the main flavonoids in cocoa - flavan-3-ols - are associated with a decreased risk of heart disease.
However, glyceollin and other pterocarpans are not known as protein precipitants, but neither are di-and trimeric proanthocyanidins or flavan-3-ols in comparison with higher-molecular-weight forms.
Hazelnuts have a significant place among dried nuts in terms of nutrition and health because of their composition of fats (primarily oleic acid), protein, carbohydrates, vitamins (vitamin E), minerals, dietary fiber, phytosterol (beta-sitosterol) and antioxidant phenolics, such as flavan-3-ols.
In this meta-analysis of a randomized clinical trial on cocoa, chocolate, or cocoa flavan-3-ols and cardiovascular biomarkers, a total of 42 trials and 1297 individuals were systematically analyzed.
In the United States, about 85 percent of our flavonoids come from the flavan-3-ols, which are found in tea, apples, cocoa, notes Romagnolo.