References in classic literature ?
The last news which I hear from Edinburgh is, that the gentleman who fills the situation of Secretary to the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland,* is the best amateur draftsman
He had been educated in Edinburgh, the city of his birth, and in London; and had in one way and another picked up a smattering of anatomy, music, electricity, and telegraphy.
Colette (whose name I do not know how to spell, for I was never in epistolary communication with that hospitable outlaw) was simply an unlicensed publican, who gave suppers after eleven at night, the Edinburgh hour of closing.
That they had arrived at Edinburgh a few Days before and from thence had made daily Excursions into the Country around in the Stage Coach they were then in, from one of which Excursions they were at that time returning.
But I liked Scott's poems far better, and got from Ispahan to Edinburgh with a glad alacrity of fancy.
When I subsequently forced myself to consider it, the most distinct project I could frame for overcoming all difficulty was, to marry myself (the phrase is strictly descriptive of the Scotch ceremony) at the first inn we came to, over the Border; to hire a chaise, or take places in a public conveyance to Edinburgh, as a blind; to let Alicia and Mrs.
When they had last been heard of, they were at Lasswade, near Edinburgh.
Surely," I said aloud, quite involuntarily, "the MacGregors must have come here from Edinburgh.
The next paragraph asserted that the said Eustace Macallan, taken before John Daviot, Esquire, advocate, Sheriff-Substitute of Mid-Lothian, did in his presence at Edinburgh (on a given date, viz.
The harpooner and I wept with him, and swore that all three of us would ship on the whaleship Bonanza, win a big pay-day, and, still together, make a pilgrimage to Edinburgh and lay our store of money in the dear lady's lap.
So when he left school they sent him to college, first to Aberdeen and then to Edinburgh.
I will give you a telegram, to be sent at once to Edinburgh.
Even during this its greatest period, however, Romanticism had for a time a hard battle to fight, and a chief literary fact of the period was the founding and continued success of the first two important English literary and political quarterlies, 'The Edinburgh Review' and 'The Quarterly Review,' which in general stood in literature for the conservative eighteenth century tradition and violently attacked all, or almost all, the Romantic poets.
This I found to be another catechist, but of a different order from the blind man of Mull: being indeed one of those sent out by the Edinburgh Society for Propagating Christian Knowledge, to evangelise the more savage places of the Highlands.
In this expedition we did not intend to follow the great road to Edinburgh, but to visit Windsor, Oxford, Matlock, and the Cumberland lakes, resolving to arrive at the completion of this tour about the end of July.
Thesaurus browser ?
- edible asparagus
- edible banana
- edible bean
- edible cockle
- edible corn
- edible fat
- edible fruit
- edible mussel
- edible nut
- edible sea urchin
- edible seed
- edible snail
- edible-pod pea
- edible-podded pea
- edit out
- Edith Cavell
- Edith Giovanna Gassion
- Edith Louisa Cavell
- Edith Newbold Jones Wharton
- Edith Piaf
- Edith Wharton
- editor in chief
- editor program
- editorial department
- Edmond de Goncourt
- Edmond Halley
- Edmond Hoyle
Full browser ?
- Edina Friends of Forensics
- Edina Girls Basketball Association
- Edina High School
- Edina Model Yacht Club
- Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
- Edinburg Community Unit School District
- Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District
- Edinburg Fire Department
- Edinburg Pony Baseball Association
- Edinburg Theological Seminary
- Edinburgh & Lothian
- Edinburgh & Midlothian Beekeepers Association
- Edinburgh Airport Rail Link
- Edinburgh and Lothian
- Edinburgh and Lothian Refugee Forum
- Edinburgh and Lothians Property Guide
- Edinburgh and Lothians Racial Equality Council
- Edinburgh and Lothians Tourist Board
- Edinburgh and Stirling Metropolitan Area Network
- Edinburgh Anti-Fascist Alliance
- Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society
- Edinburgh Area Scouts International Expeditions
- Edinburgh Area Traffic Model
- Edinburgh Art Festival
- Edinburgh Association of University Teachers
- Edinburgh Ballroom Dancers Association
- Edinburgh Centre for Muslim-Christian Studies
- Edinburgh Centre for Rural Research
- Edinburgh Centre for Tropical Forests
- Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce
- Edinburgh Chinese Elderly Support Association
- Edinburgh Chinese Students and Scholars Association
- Edinburgh City Centre Company
- Edinburgh City Centre Management Company
- Edinburgh City Libraries and Information Services
- Edinburgh Clinical Trials Unit
- Edinburgh Collaborative of Subsurface Science and Engineering
- Edinburgh Collection of Open Software for Simulation and Education
- Edinburgh Community Food Initiative
- Edinburgh Compute and Data Facility