State, (54) which he argued authorized a criminal defendant
to be the ultimate decision maker in a criminal case.
37) Cases handled in this manner provide the symbol of appeal for the criminal defendant
, but not the reality of careful consideration of the defendant's conviction by a panel of appellate judges.
Mezzanatto, concluding that a criminal defendant
cannot waive the protection of the plea-statement Rules.
26) Ultimately, the Conference Committee adopted a revised Rule 16 that made no reference to witness lists at all, (27) and as a result, criminal defendants
have no right to obtain the government's witness list in advance of trial.
The Michigan court was most persuaded by the potential subversion of the statute of limitations when a criminal defendant
is allowed to first obtain postconviction relief before starting the clock on the limitation period.
Consequently, in a complex case, an indigent criminal defendant
might be at a serious disadvantage unless he or she retains counsel who is adequately compensated.
Requiring that criminal defendants
be mentally fit before they are prosecuted strengthens the integrity of our courts by helping to ensure both fair trials and just, humane treatment of the accused.
37) However, as long as one believes that the rule of lenity is motivated at least in part by constitutional concerns of fair notice and due process, the availability of other arguments to support the use of lenity does not undermine the fundamental point that a lack of second-order clarity is a serious problem for the courts and potential criminal defendants
Crawford emphatically rejects this standard, creating significant new limitations on what testimony may be used against a criminal defendant
5) The Court should have completely prohibited involuntary medication of a mentally ill criminal defendant
with antipsychotic drugs solely to render the defendant competent to stand trial.
4) After a long history of court decisions subordinating Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Amendment rights to the needs of law enforcement, particularly in the case of state criminal defendants
, the court began elevating these rights into meaningful protections of accused persons both in federal and state proceedings.
Such cases inevitably raise questions about whether sensational publicity on a criminal defendant
affects the ability of jurors to reach an impartial verdict.
A sex crime allegation is one of the most fearsome faced by any criminal defendant
, due to the social stigma of a "rape claim.
Attorney's claim that every criminal defendant
should be required to sit at the table farthest from the jury.
Supreme Court has held that not every practice that singles a criminal defendant
out from everyone else in the courtroom violates the defendant's right to a fair trial, the appellate ruling said.