References in periodicals archive ?
In order to achieve an understanding of the archetypal librarian, this paper compares three periods: (1) pre-Alexandrian Mesopotamian information institutions, focusing on the seventh century BCE Library of Assurbanipal (considered by many scholars to be the first universal or national library), (2) the Great Library of Alexandria (hereafter referred to as "the Library"), and (3) the twenty-first century American academic library.
For example, the chief scribe Issar-sumu-eres, who served both Esarhaddon and his son Assurbanipal, writes of a lunar-solar opposition on the fifteenth:
For an Arab treaty with the Neo-Assyrian ruler Assurbanipal, see Neo-Assyrian Treaties and Loyalty Oaths, ed.
The Babylonian Correspondence of Esarhaddon and the Letters of Assurbanipal and Sin-garru-ifikun from Northern and Central Babylonia.
They date as late as the reigns of Sennacherib, Esarhaddon, and Assurbanipal.
Assurbanipal did not build both "a significant library and museum" (p.
On that basis, Esarhaddon employed the treaty as a "loyalty oath" (ade) (23) to secure the succession of Assurbanipal as his own heir (669 B.
There is no question but that Simo Parpola has been the leading scholar of his generation in Neo-Assyrian studies, not only producing seminal works such as Letters from Assyrian Scholars to the Kings Esarhaddon and Assurbanipal (1970-1971), but also establishing The State Archives of Assyria Project at the University of Helsinki.
Arneth shows how the authors of Psalm 19 have taken the solar imagery that in the ancient Near East was most often associated with the king, as typified by an Akkadian hymn to Shamash allegedly composed by Assurbanipal and by the "Last Words of David" (2 Sam.
Streck, Assurbanipal and die letzten assyrischen Knoige bis zum Untergange Niniveh's (Leipzig, 1916), 2, 8, 10; 84-88: "the radiance of Assur and Istar overwhelmed him (Luli, King of Sidon) and he went crazy.
117) The twelve-foot-long papyrus written on both sides contains a sizeable collection of poems, hymns, and rituals associated with a New Year's festival, and concludes with an Aramaic version of the seventh-century rivalry between the two royal brothers, Assurbanipal of Assyria and Shamash-shum-ukin in Babylon (cols.
Streck, Assurbanipal (Leipzig: Hinrichs, 1916), 2: 10.
In light of the stated goal of the series, "to eventually make the entire library of Assurbanipal available in this format" (SAACT I, page facing the title page) I expect that bookshelves housing the SAACT series will proclaim Assurbanipal's fame and immortality by means of an installment-plan spelling-out of the Kuyunjik colophon anaku (md) Assur-ban-apli sar kissati sar mat Assur (cf.
Dismissal of the usual dating for the Til Barsip lion hunt painting to the reign of Assurbanipal, and attribution of it to that of Sennacherib (pp.
She quotes from Leroy Waterman's translation of a Neo-Assyrian letter to Assurbanipal "The temples cause prosperity" ([ekurrate.
Thesaurus browser ?
- associative aphasia
- assortative mating
- assumed name
- Assumption of Mary
- Assyrian Akkadian
- Assyrian Neo-Aramaic
- astatic coils
- astatic galvanometer
- Aster acuminatus
- Aster arenosus
Full browser ?
- Assurance Service
- Assurance services
- Assurance Services Development Board
- Assurance Suisse contre les Risques à l'Exportation
- Assurance Technology Center
- Assurance Technology Corporation
- Assurance Vieillesse
- Assurance Vieillesse des Parents au Foyer
- Assurance Vieillesse et Survivants
- Assurance Voyages & Assistance
- Assurances Christian Filiol
- Assurances Courtage Prévoyance Retraite
- Assurances et Crédits Béjanin
- Assurances Générales
- Assurances Générales de France
- Assurances Mutuelles de l'Indre
- Assurances Vieillesse des Artisans
- Assurant Employee Benefits
- Assurballit Gazelle Hound
- assure again
- assure of
- assure oneself
- Assured Access to Space
- assured belief
- Assured Betagro Chicken Program
- Assured Billing Lookup
- Assured Calibration and Laboratory Accreditation Select Services
- Assured Clear Distance Ahead
- Assured Combinable Crop Scheme
- Assured Computing Environment
- Assured Crew Return Capability
- Assured Crew Return Vehicle
- Assured Equipment Grounding Conductor Program
- assured expectation
- Assured Forwarding